Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Champions/Heroes  (Read 1337 times)

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Champions/Heroes
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:05:02 pm »

So Ive been playing Dwarf Fortress for a while now, and I have 15 legendary soldiers. I didn't know heroes or champions even existed up until 5 minutes ago, when I read the page on them. I am curious as to why my soldiers aren't heroes/champions? They are all legendary in armor, blocking, dodging, and in their weapons. (axes, spears, and whips if it matters) Can anyone tell me why they still aren't a hero/champion? Wiki says all they need is a legendary weapon skill, so whats up? Is this a already known bug? Thanks. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Champions/Heroes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:07:50 pm »

A champion is a noble, of which there is one and no weapon skill requirements. It's appointed by your baron in the nobles screen. If you mean legendary soldiers gaining elite soldier status, yeah that's a bug. A rather benign and sometimes even beneficiary one, as it saves time in redesignating civilian labours should you want your soldiers to work in their off time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »

That kind of champion hasn't been around for just over 3 years, I think.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »

Yea every legendary weapon dwarf used to become a champion automatically.  They don't now. 

Now you get one champion you can appoint when you get a baron, and they do...things...I donno what things.   Something with morale I guess.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

Now you get one champion you can appoint when you get a baron, and they do...things...I donno what things.   Something with morale I guess.
They're supposed to give military Dwarves lessons, so picking a Dwarf with high teaching skill as the champion is good for an army. Makes your limbless teacher Dwarves rather useful too.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »

I've never had champions train my military ever. I just know that they function as a ''pillar of society'' and give dwarves a good thought when they speak to the champion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 01:32:32 pm »

Or bad, depending on how liberal they are.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »

Now, now, let's be fair here, this isn't the US--who's to say that the conservatives of this fort prefer to deal with conflicts using diplomacy, tree-hugging and rainbows, while the liberals prefer warfare, murder and magma?
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:54 pm »

I assume the champion is a grizzled veteran who goes on parades and tells other Dwarves to buy war bonds or something.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:12:21 pm »

Now, now, let's be fair here, this isn't the US--who's to say that the conservatives of this fort prefer to deal with conflicts using diplomacy, tree-hugging and rainbows, while the liberals prefer warfare, murder and magma?

Nono, seriously. If a dwarf has a high LIBERALNESS personality value, they're going to not like talking to pillars of society.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:19:07 pm »

Ah. My mistake.
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?