Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Studies of ants show that on-the-job training is important.  (Read 705 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Studies of ants show that on-the-job training is important.
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:03:39 am »

Ants/dwarves change careers as they mature, but some stick with the same job their entire lifetime:

http://www.nature.com/news/tracking-whole-colonies-shows-ants-make-career-moves-1.12833

More ants should have the teacher skill, but many ants have the observer skill.

(and hi, I haven't posted in a long time, but i figured this was a good way to come back.)

igless

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Studies of ants show that on-the-job training is important.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:13 pm »

Very nice. I've seen a few documentaries about ants and from what I gather some species' specialized ants know their roles from their size alone, like honeypot ants. It wouldn't really make practical sense if while an ant destined to be a soldier ant grew it did nothing but consume nectar and laze around.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:21:00 pm »

Interesting, but not too surprising. I mean we already know that bee's change their jobs for the colony as they get older, so I'm not too surprised that other hive species may do the same thing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22:58 pm »

I actually was not aware of this behavior. I had assumed, without evidence, that a given individual would perform whatever task the local pheromones said was in high demand at the time, where ants in a certain region of the colony were more likely to repeatedly perform the same task because it was constantly in demand in the associated area. Obviously I'd thought there was some division between soldiers and workers that dictated whether they would be more likely to react to defend the colony or raid others, but not that any of the ants performed particular jobs.

I suppose dwarves spend their young lives as farmers, peasant haulers, and fishers, judging solely by the huge volume of such, then graduate to crafters and finally to the high-demand specializations once 90% of them have died. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 04:12:08 am »

specialization in the insect world kept them from evolving for millions of years. The same should be done to dwarves. The last thing you want is a bunch of freethinkers starting revolutions. It's do your job and shut up just like in real life

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:36 am »

specialization in the insect world kept them from evolving for millions of years. The same should be done to dwarves. The last thing you want is a bunch of freethinkers starting revolutions. It's do your job and shut up just like in real life
Dwarves already do it.
As Eric's said:

Baby -> Child -> Peasant
Peasant -> Adopts trade < -- > Migrates
Worker Dwarves continue working till death unless
[Miners | Pump operators | Secondary workers] -> Military
Military Dwarves -> Elite military Dwarves [civilian labours turn off]
Elite military Dwarves protect noble Dwarves [who have the most relationships, protections = spiral avoidance]
Elite military Dwarves protect worker Dwarves and colony
Colony expands with worker Dwarves

Cycle continues