Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Education  (Read 1587 times)

Gecko

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It's never easy
    • View Profile
Education
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:58:49 am »

Firstly, i'm very new to posting on this forum (1st post) so if this is wrong please let me know so i can correct where necessary. I did a few searches looking for keywords regarding children and anything concerning the ideas i had and found nothing. I heard there is development for children but i would like to see a useful education system.

For the children:
A Nursery for children to go. Designate it similarly to a hospital. Tables and chairs will be needed. Perhaps using dyes and water to allow them to paint. Basic plastics could be made in the kitchen for them to play with. Once in a while they could go on excursions such as to your sculpture garden, to the well or the grand dining room. They could help by brining water to those in the hospital during sieges with a slight chance they drop the bucket on the way there.
They will learn the Learning skill, be kept out of the way and depending on the teacher can learn certain skills, if not entirely social skills.
Puzzleboxes, toys and some crafts optional.

For the children, i would recommend a  School. this is a place to teach children skills and to keep them occupied. You could create a timetable where different dwarves of various skills  take turns teaching the kids. There could be a military academy for children as well. Different teachers, such as a metalsmith, will teach predominantly their skills. But perhaps a farmer should still teach, upon occasion if he has a little experience in it, how to milk cattle.
The teachers should teach better the greater their skill in the subject. The children will learn better with greater learning skills (received from the nursery). Also, the greater the teaching skill of the teacher, the better the students learn. I like the idea of keeping your legendary weaponsmith away from the forges to help raise better weaponsmiths in the future. It could create a balancing act and long term planning.
Schools would require tables, a separate table for the teacher in the front of the class, chairs, graphite for pencils, paper, books, gypsum (which we usually call chalk in a classroom), a blackboard (made of metal). A direction should be set to face the chalkboard. Storage would also be necessary.
Mini forges, whatever their implementation will be, could be used to teach the smithying skills. Balls of yarn/threads and some dye for weaving, clothmaking and dying skills. Pots, carving knives, cauldrons for cooking, which allows for, in the general expectation of the game, for some fun.
 Like the idea of a freak dying mistake happening, permanently staining a child vomit green. Or metalworking having tongs and a hammer soldered to his bones allowing him to only ever be a smithy.

If we implement education, we need tertiary level training.
A University is a place to learn skills not easily taught. A place for nobles to be taught their skills. An area to be taught, amongst other skills, the teaching skills which would be extremely valuable to send your high level dodger and commander to then teach the rest of the squad. This would also make your war veterans who cannot grasp anymore something very useful to do.
The University is also where social skills can be learned and practiced. It could have a debating hall where arguments and official debates take place similar to when a party is hosted in a meeting hall. Leveling up skills of the listeners and debaters (only those enrolled in the university may debate). This could create happy thoughts of differing degrees based on the level of the debaters. The more amusing the discussion and greater comedic level of the debaters, the more enjoyment. Perhaps some dwarves who are inclined towards knowledge prefer the more serious arguments, but let us leave such specifics to another time.

Temple: Increases the likelihood that your dwarves who spend time worshipping will be possessed and create an artifact. Most strongly for those who manage the temple (a monk or perhaps).

If, and this an idea i really like, the temple is organized concurrently as the university,  we could have theologians for the temple and rational philosophers debate deities. What this could do is alter the relationships that dwarves have with their deities. We could create uneasy thoughts when the believers begin questioning and happy thoughts when the theologian wins. The winner of the debates should be the best debater regarding certain skills (wit, knowledge, debating, speaking, public speaking [belief and rationalism?] - just some skills which could be good for a debater).

This will require more nobles. Mostly, except the head of the university, they shouldn't require extraordinary quarters.

Alternatively, if we could put children in cages or force nobles into labour camps i would be equally happy.
'I am called a dog because i fawn on those who give me anything, I yelp at those who refuse, and I set my teeth in rascals.'
Diogenese

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Education
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:38 am »

i was thinking about this as well i though possibly an apprenticeship, assigning children to a Legendary dwarf that teaches children their craft
Have a wonderful day

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:05:36 pm »

Perhaps one form of education would be for children to become squires to knights.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »

I support a nursery for babies (lady, WHY are you bringing that baby into the exploratory mines?) and I support apprenticeship and playing with toys for children.  I'm not sure I think designating a university in a fortress feels quite right...relatively tiny outposts of 200-300 aren't normally bastions of higher learning.  I also don't find it necessary for any dwarf in my fortress to learn a wide range of skills...actually, I kind of detest it when they know a bunch of random things.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Gecko

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It's never easy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:20:24 am »

I didn't really think about the appreticeship. I remember while using Dwarf Therapist and allowing Children and Nobles to perform tasks (yes, i was a dirty little cheater), i noticed that some of the kids ended up wit legendary statuses in things like bone crafting or furnace operating when all i allowed them to do was haling jobs. Now, i don't think the children performed any tasks but by just enabling labour in general and being in the vicinity of the parent while they worked seems work as a very rudimentary appreticeship.

Must admit, i'm quite inclined to like the school idea, but i'm aware it is bias and an easier (even more efficient) method could easily be the apprenticeship.

The university is a bit far fetched, i know. But when you're on brainstorming just let things flow. I really wanted a place for nobles to go and practice their skills. Also, a place for a veteran to lean how to teach would be very valuable, i still believe, to the training of your army if you're ot going to use a danger room. I never meant for dwarves to learn a host of random skills at the niversity, but rather the social skills. I'm not entirely sureow worthwhile they areexcept for nobles.
'I am called a dog because i fawn on those who give me anything, I yelp at those who refuse, and I set my teeth in rascals.'
Diogenese

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:47 am »

I don't see why a university would be far fetched if you have a flourishing mountain home.

Caldemar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:25:36 pm »

I had been thinking about school myself recently.

I think it being designated like a hospitable would be a good idea, though I would also be fine with it being a room.

I see there being a "teacher" labor which will allow adult dwarves to go to the classroom and teach.  They would then teach a random skill they have (with weight given to skills there are better at), and the students would then slowly gain experience in that skill.  Teaching should also raise the teacher skill and learning the student skill.  Rate of learning would depend on how good the teacher is at that skill, as well as the teacher's teacher skill and the child's student skill.

Finally, a perk to having a school would be that it would reduce the number of kids underfoot in the rest of the fort, reducing the chances of having fun! (Unless of course magma somehow finds it's way into the school...)