Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mushroom Kingdom Fusion v0.53: That game you wanted to make in 4th grade  (Read 9363 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is a "fan game" that has been in development for a long, long time. I remember playing it on my old netbook years ago when it was buggy and unfinished. As of this year, though, the game has hit version 0.53, finally making it stable enough to play through most of the game without using cheats like debug mode.

But what IS it?

It's a platformer with characters, levels and other content from all across the video game 'verse. I'm not actually sure there's a story behind it all, but basically, you can play through levels as many different characters (Mario, Link, Sonic, Roll/Megaman, Simon Belmont, uh, there's a lot) and travel through worlds like the Mushroom Kingdom, Alternate Earth, Mobius and Gehenna. Each character plays differently, but they operate as they would in their original games, for the most part.

What's cool about it?

*MKF has a LOT of content. There's more stuff in here than I've ever seen in any crossover fan game. Unfortunately, a fair bit of the later worlds are unfinished. Some levels are still a bit buggy, but these have been blocked off and are only accessible in debug mode.
*Variable challenge depending on the character. I prefer to play as classic Mega Man just because of the difficulty - he can't jump as far as other characters, so you have to get good with his "slide jump."
*Collectibles. In addition to your normal coins and power-ups, you can find rupees (used to pay for stuff in shops) and cherries (which summon invincibility stars when you get enough). Some levels also have red coins that are a challenge to find but reward you if you collect 'em all.
*Lots of secret paths. Took me a while to figure it out, but any time there's a locked door next to a level on the world map, that means there's a secret, more challenging path through said level to unlock it. Often the secret paths are related to what they unlock, like the Subcon path ending in a battle with Mouser.

What's less cool about it?
*A couple major characters are still unfinished. I wanna play as Kirby :(
*It's a game maker game, and game maker does not manage this game's resources well. The system requirements for CPU and memory are large compared to other 2d fan games, but I've managed to run it at full speed on my old 3ghz dual core laptop.
*The difficulty can be a bit crazy sometimes. I'm looking at you, Bridge Zone Eggman.

So basically, if anyone's interested, download the huge game and its music and get to playing! I look forward to hearing others' impressions.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks neat.  I'll try it out. 

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't there an online flash game like this?
On Newgrounds, I think.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't there an online flash game like this?
On Newgrounds, I think.

Yeah, it's not really like this though. It's an exact copy of SMB1 with several characters to play as. Trust me, they couldn't fit this in a Flash game :P

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

I dunno who the hell decided ESC would close the game, without even asking, but I really don't appreciate that decision. D:
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I should have probably mentioned that.

Any time you might be compelled to press ESC, press F2 instead. It restarts the game, preventing you from sitting through the loading screen.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

It's more that ESC generally opens the menu in every game I play, rather than closing it entirely. So I press ESC when I want to save. You can imagine how this is an issue for me.

F2 is good to know, though.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

I read about this some time ago, probably when I first tried Mari0.

It sounds complete enough now to dust off the ol' DualShock -> USB adapter and give it a go.

EDIT: Okay, the guy's forum avatar is ARTIE!! so I basically have to try it, now. See what you've done?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:16:51 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Ooh! Gusta.
Freeform, did you find your old avatar again?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp.

I managed to get it running, and hit escape at the character select, because that's what sane people bind to "close menus". Now the game won't even start. "An unexpected error has occurred while trying to load game."

I'm not going to mess with it more tonight, but has anyone else ran into that? Google is less than helpful. I'll try a re-install tomorrow, maybe that will work.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp.

I managed to get it running, and hit escape at the character select, because that's what sane people bind to "close menus". Now the game won't even start. "An unexpected error has occurred while trying to load game."

I'm not going to mess with it more tonight, but has anyone else ran into that? Google is less than helpful. I'll try a re-install tomorrow, maybe that will work.

Oh. Try restarting? I don't know. It's too bad no one reads the instructions in today's games, I mean, the full controls are right there in the instructions :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:48:03 pm by freeformschooler »

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile

I think I saw this before, it had Mario running through I think it was an XCom spaceship??? I remembered it later and desperately wanted to find it.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh. Try restarting? I don't know. It's too bad no one reads the instructions in today's games, I mean, the full controls are right there in the instructions :P

Reading a sentence once does nothing to un-train a dozen years of "back out of menu" being Esc in everything else, ever. Oddly enough... to back out of the control list, you press... Esc. Only there, though, nowhere else...

Anyway, I deleted everything but the music folder and unzipped the game folder again. It works now, even when I quit from the map and restart (the untitled, unlabeled error was happening on launch). I'm guessing that means don't press Esc to end the program while on the character select screen. Learn from my mistakes! etc.

It's pretty great so far, though. I got a good laugh when getting the invinicibility star on Belmont changed the music to Bloody Tears. Awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

The manual is a Rich Text document, the art assets are bitmaps, and the jump key, a key you're likely to repeatedly press many times, is the Shift key which activates sticky-keys.

For how impressive the game looks and feels so far, that demonstrates to me an appalling lack of forethought or concern for quality control.  Also, Mario's hitbox is kinda large and wonky.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried to remap Jump to Z so it didn't activate stickykeys.

But then I realized my laptop keyboard has terrible rollover, so remapping it to Z or X or other keys kept making me fuck up. So I went back to the default Shift and turn off Stickykeys. :I

For how impressive the game looks and feels so far, that demonstrates to me an appalling lack of forethought or concern for quality control.  Also, Mario's hitbox is kinda large and wonky.

The biggest problem with Mario is he doesn't stop time and make a WOP-WOP-WOP sound when you get hit. He just kinda flashes and morphs back to being small. I consider this a tragic oversight.