Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World of Warcraft B12 guild  (Read 1638 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
World of Warcraft B12 guild
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:02:25 pm »

So I was looking at my games the other day and saw my WoW cases. I've been having trouble finding games to play recently, so I decided I might give it a shot. The problem is, it's hard to find people to play with and that's the whole point of MMO's. I've played the game half a dozen times in the past and managed to get two or three chars up to level 70 or so, even though I have all the expansions up to cataclysm. I always enjoy playing, but after two weeks of questing alone with nobody to talk to, I stop playing.

Then I had an idea; a casual bay12 guild composed of people with similar experience levels, possibly even those who haven't touched the game in a long time. We could all jump on new characters and start from level 1 with a class or race we haven't tried before, or we could all make DK chars for that sudden jump to 55.

Would anyone else be interested for a fresh WoW start?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Warcraft B12 guild
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:50:25 am »

I always enjoy playing, but after two weeks of questing alone with nobody to talk to, I stop playing.

If so, then a bay12 guild probably isn't the best solution. Join a guild that already has a couple hundred members.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:53:35 pm »

Yeah, you're probably not going to find that many players around here, or ones that will stick around if you do. Your best bet is to find a leveling guild or farm guild of another end-game raiding guild and try to make friends that way.

The playerbase was on the decline (in quality) when I quit... eh however many years ago, so it might take some searching, but browsing guild recruitment posts/sites might be helpful. Be warned that 99% of "we only need tanks and healers and we're good to go!" guilds will never amount to anything. Also, don't ever donate anything to a leveling guild's bank... but do steal mercilessly from them. Consider it a daily quest.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:08:11 pm »

you're probably not going to find that many players around here, or ones that will stick around if you do

I think bay12 has a lot of former WoW players. I played for years, myself. As in, >100 days /played, Over 9000/Loremaster/working on Insane, top raiding guild on the server, 4 max-level characters, "played WoW." Pretty sure I'm not the only one, either. Thing, players like that won't join a bay12 guild because there's not much in it for them. Also, with the guild leveling system that was introduced with Cataclysm, there are fairly significant in-game mechanic benefits to being in a large guild. A bay12 guild with half a dozen people isn't going to work well. And like the OP pointed out, WoW isn't a lot of fun if you're playing by yourself just running quests and things anyway. Generally with bay12 playing MMOs you'll get bunch of people playing for a couple weeks, then most stop. That's not going to give you what you want. You need to have at least 5-10 online at any given time for a guild to be much more than lip service. And as old as WoW is, most of your likely candidates to play have probably already played it to death and have no interest in taking it back up, and even if they did they're all max-level are are unlikely to want to level another character just to keep you company.

You could of course pug dungeons so you're not playing alone.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »

Pugging doesn't really cut it, though. In the end, that's still random people you'll never see again and thus have no vested interest in. My WoW interest dropped off sharply once the people I knew I could rely on for good heroics runs or profession I hadn't worked on had left. Then again, some of the guilds I was in after "mine" (The one I helped found and manage for vanilla) fell apart were about as bad as pugs. Bring-yer-own-everything and paying guildies for enchants even if you supplied all the mats and they were in town, anyway. It's a matter of knowing what you want and being willing to look hard enough to find it.

Upside, level 5-10 is like, an hour's worth of playing so there nothing keeping you from rerolling on any server you like.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.