Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a few questions about farming/food/water  (Read 787 times)

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
a few questions about farming/food/water
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:06:00 am »

oh-kay. Well, I found a somewhat fine place on map, with everything I wanted (well, besides magma). So there are questions.

First, does fertility level of soil depends on its type? for example, silt vs sand vs mud ?
Second, what can you say about water resources:
a) Will fish replenish in lakes from zero? It seems that rivers/brooks are infinite sources of fish.
b) Will water in lakes replenish in spring? And if lake was dried?
c) Am I understand correctly that _one_ dwarf with _one_ bucket carries _one_ water level from _one_ tile?
d) How much water dwarf drinks? Because I once constructed well site like this:

(to brook)
  #~#
####~#
#~~+~#
#<~#X#
#~~~~#
######

X is floodgate, + is artifical wall(stupid dwarf entered tunnel and put floodgate behind nimself, effectively locking himself.)
And for about two years water level never decreased. Or artifical walls doesn't hold water?

Well, that;s all for now.

AND just another question before I forget about it - I'm currently using "The Mike Mayday graphics edition", and encountered a problem - I have to press 'enter' twice. All other keys working normally. Is this a bug or a feature?

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: Fullmoon ]

Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: a few questions about farming/food/water
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 05:48:00 am »

a) Yes, apparently on season change.
b) No. Never. (until code gets added in to refill them)
c) I've not tried bucket brigading, but I think that is how it works.
d) None, if there is booze available. One level of water if they are injured or if there is no more booze around.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday