Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random seeding a world  (Read 617 times)

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
Random seeding a world
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

In another thread I noticed several people mention that they'd created worlds with such-and-such a random seed (2006). So, my question is...

Can you change the random seed for world generations?

And, if so, how?

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Random seeding a world
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

I just added that ability yesterday.  What they were doing was creating worlds with a specific id number using the command line option, whether they knew it or not.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. Now I understand what they were doing and how. By typing -gen worldID in the command line, you generate a specific world. Cool -- I'm off to generate worlds... by the bucketful!
By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

so, uh, i think you misunderstand the mighty Toady.  what he was saying, is that specifying your random world seed didnt work before yesterday - and he hasnt released a new version with that new feature in it yet.

what we were doing before was actually totally different, and totally ineffectual.

but yes, it does rock that the feature will exist in the new version / rewrite, and we will be able to share world seeds and stuff.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

When we make a world that looks awesome, will we be able to see the seed at a later time so we'll know which one it was?

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

That would be a great feature; then we could also share worlds by simply specifying a seed instead of having to upload the whole save. Be useful for those who are more bandwidth-limited than cpu-limited.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:09:00 am »

Yeah, in the yet-to-be-released-version, even if you say "I want a random world", it records the seed inside the region, and it outputs a txt file when you export the world map.  The txt file has the seed that was used, and any other options (right now, just custom naming, but later it'll be the whole World Params Arc).  The txt files can be imported if you put the info into the world_gen.txt that is in the init folder, and you can also just type in the seed if you want.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>so, uh, i think you misunderstand the mighty Toady.  what he was saying, is that specifying your random world seed didnt work before yesterday - and he hasnt released a new version with that new feature in it yet.

what we were doing before was actually totally different, and totally ineffectual.

but yes, it does rock that the feature will exist in the new version / rewrite, and we will be able to share world seeds and stuff.</STRONG>

Nu-uh, I understood The Great Toad perfectly -- perhaps you misunderstood my reply? What -gen [worldID] does is generate a specific world number without having to start up Dwarf Fortress not seed a world with worldID.

But you are right -- it's hella-cool that the next release will feature a user-defined random-seed for newly generated world. Then I'll really go to town generating worlds  :D