Would you use a DF Succession website?

Yes
- 11 (44%)
No
- 4 (16%)
Maybe
- 10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Votes Please - Would You Use A DF Succession Website?  (Read 755 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Votes Please - Would You Use A DF Succession Website?
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:18:06 pm »

Hey guys, i have been planning a succession website for dwarf fortress over the past weeks.

Would you use a website like this?

The following is what you would be able to do:

------Features------
- Create Private/Public succession games.
- Add people to friends to invite them to your private succession match.
- When a person has finished their turn they may write notes or add to the story of what has happened with the fortress, when they upload the file.
- Search for public games or games your friends have started.
- As a host of a match you can view the queue of people currently inline to play.
- As a host you can kick and change the order of who is playing next.
- Whoever is in the queue next will be notified(email?) and be given the fortress file.
- Upload any art/story to attach to the succession page.
- Set a rotation time if applicable, if the file is not returned in time the game moves to the next user.
--------------------

Let me know if you guys have any ideas, i have the skill-set to make something like this but i need to know SOMEONE will use it.

Thanks,
Necro.

-- EDIT --

Just as a note i just wanted people to see the, what i think the purpose behind succession is.

1. I don't think succession is about bringing multiplier to Dwarf Fortress.
2. I think that succession is a way of making preset playable scenarios.
3. I think that succession games are community building(!!goal!!).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:20:52 pm by Necromunger »
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Votes Please - Would You Use A DF Succession Website?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:33:45 pm »

I and a great many other people from the Something Awful forum might use this website, but it would be in competition with other web utilities that are frequently used by the Let's Play! community on Something Awful; for example, the website LPix.com provides unlimited image hosting for anyone with a Something Awful account, and there are other, dedicated utilities which Something Awful members have created over the years to facilitate LPs in general. I am of course speaking from the perspective of a LP!er, rather than someone interested solely in Dwarf Fortress succession games: there may be for all I know literally dozens of people willing to use the webspace you provide.

Having a background relevant to this project myself, I would be happy to offer what insight I can.

PS—your poll needs a "maybe" option, s’il vous plaît.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »

So far, it's unanimous!

I think it'd be awesome to have a site that makes it easier to create, oversee, and participate in succession games, and that stores all the save games.

Provided, of course, that the site is inexpensive enough, funded well enough, or has a sustainable (but not painfully annoying) economic model, and doesn't go down taking the saved games with it.

I feel like the "queue of players who will play in this order" model of organizing succession games is one of the biggest problems with succession games...if you sign up, unless you always have free time, your turn may come when you don't, and that slows down or kills a lot of succession games.

To me, the biggest advantage of a website facilitating succession games would be that you could set up a game to be open access, but lock for a period when someone downloads the game file. For example, you might set up a game with 24 hour turns. If nobody's grabbed the save file, it'd be open for the next comer who has time to play right now, once somebody's clicked to download, it would be locked until either the download fails (in which case it unlocks again quickly), or the player who downloaded it uploads the results of their game, or the clock times out and the old save becomes available again.

With a setup like that, a popular succession game might see several turns played each day by players in different parts of the world, or with different schedules.

Instead of having turns set up in some particular order, you might have an allowed players whitelist (or for public games, a blacklist), with players removed from the whitelist (or added to a public game's blacklist) when they take their turn (possibly with some kind of time-out, if multiple turns by the same player are allowed, or if the file isn't claimed by a new player for some length of time).

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:17:50 pm »

Thanks for the responses guys. @Grumbledwarfskin the website would have no adds, its funded by me.

I just wanted to note that i don't see this as competition to any the referenced communities.
The website will be half about documentation off previous events(succession matches) and half about setting up matches for people to play.

@Grumbledwarfskin though i agree with you there are other issues to matches being completely open in this way, that have to be sorted out.
Malicious can go through and download the file for every open match and gridlock everyone from playing.

Aside from this i agree that an open system implemented somehow would be a good idea and ill look into it.

--EDIT--

And i also agree and think that we could look into 24 hour rotations.
It would be a special option to open Speed Succession matches.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:19:46 pm by Necromunger »
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}