Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't use seeds?  (Read 1778 times)

MasonDon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't use seeds?
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:23 am »

Hey guys, I've been playing DF on and off for a while now and just ran in to a problem. I've got a stockpile full of seeds (not in a barrel to get around the hauling bug) and my farmers are constantly giving me the job cancellation message that they're out of seeds. The farm is underground, I muddied it completely before I dropped the plot down, replanted it a few times, and made sure none of the seeds are forbidden. Help?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't use seeds?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:32:52 am »

1) burrows

2) forbidden bags

3) removed stairs
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:45 am »

Haulers are probably picking up the bags in order to collect seeds from your dining rooms and workshops, making the seeds inside them temporarily unavailable - it's one of the major annoyances that was introduced in version 0.34.07 with the hauling improvements.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:31:02 am »

^ Most likely the above.

You're going to need a separate stockpile for collecting seeds and have the other one take from it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:30:19 am »

^ Most likely the above.

You're going to need a separate stockpile for collecting seeds and have the other one take from it.

ahh here we go.  I've been playing for the first time since right before the hauling changes, and this could really cut down on the cancellation spam.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

MasonDon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:08 am »

I currently have no burrows set up, it's pretty early into my new fortress.

My seeds aren't even in bags, they were just sitting on the stockpile, unforbidden, etc.
I even made a separate seed stockpile and removed the old stockpile to see if it would work. All my dwarves treat the seeds as if they aren't even there and won't haul them.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:49:48 pm »

Are they still planting some?

I've noticed in my fort that they seem to queue more planting jobs than they have the seeds for and spam a few cancellations when they run out. I have no idea why, but it happened even before I had barrels for my seeds.

If you're still getting crops, I would say... ignore it until the spam filter gets updated with the new annoying messages.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

MasonDon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:21 pm »

They're actually not planting at all, which is beginning to be troublesome as I'm running low on food and drink. What's even more baffling is that they were planting seeds before I posted this, and then just up and stopped.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »

Has the farm are been exposed to sunlight? Are all the plot tiles on soil (sand, clay or muddied floor)?

Might be a good time to upload your save.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:01:07 am »

try a new farmplot, set to grow plump helmets in all four seasons.  In the meantime, make a massive "gather plants" designation to keep your dwarves from starving.  if that fails, you may as well start a new world. 

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"