Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Victoria 2  (Read 16853 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 06:50:08 am »

The furthest I've played as a nation was the USA, almost up to 1900. After the Scramble for Africa bit, that's for sure.

I found the USA a good power to pick. It's nice and small starting out, without too large of a military to worry about, though I always left the economy on autopilot, so no ideas about that. Plus you have ample expansion in the west, Mexico is your punching bag, and extending your influence into the Caribbean/South America is quite fun, since the European powers like to fight with you over them. You also have the American Civil War to look forward to on your rise to Great Power status, after which you can bully around the lesser countries with the best of them.

The only problem with the USA is that they grow too powerful too quickly, with no-one able to stop you. Once Mexico has been beaten into submission and the Caribbean is your private swimming pool, you don't really have much to do. Except go on foreign expeditions and mess up other countries, of course.

Thinking about it Prussia might be the better choice. You've got German unification to dick around with, a powerful military to attack people with, and lots of wars against France, Russia and Austria-Hungary (assuming you didn't disembowel them to form Greater Germany of course) to look forward to. Sounds like fun.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 08:16:03 am »

The only problem with the USA is that they grow too powerful too quickly, with no-one able to stop you. Once Mexico has been beaten into submission and the Caribbean is your private swimming pool, you don't really have much to do. Except go on foreign expeditions and mess up other countries, of course.

This. Explains. So. Much...

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:58 am »

The crisis system in the new expansion is supposed to help smaller countries out a bit. Though it seems to favor certain ones that have cores they don't own. Not sure how much use others will have for it but I guess it will show sooner or later.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:25 pm »

So I believe that Heart Of Darkness is out now! Has anyone got it? How buggy is it?

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »

Been playing it today, it seems to work pretty well so far.
Somewhat awkward when the AI decides to release all its colonies as dominions for some reason, At the earliest opportunity. Leading to Australia with the center being colonised by the UK etc.

Colonisation is kind of irritating now that you have to go around and check the dates they're done so you don't fall behind if you're competing with someone else. Unless I miss something.

Other than those things I think most of it is an improvement. The crises for example make the game a little more unpredictable and dynamic.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2013, 08:03:22 pm »

This. Explains. So. Much...
Actually...

In reality, the US had to contest the French, Mexico, Spanish and UK designs on North America during these times. We really had to wrangle and beguile our control over the west fighting Mexico for South West, supporting Texas during their war wasn't easy.

The Spanish American War, and the eventual Philippine War were pretty intense wars, and really tested the mettle of American young naval power. That pushed Spanish influence out of the America entirely, cemented America as a mature Great Power and Spanish lost that title.

Mexico back then was a real contender for the South West and Gulf of Mexico.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 08:12:44 pm »

I think you're missing the joke...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:23 pm »

The US really is a guaranteed superpower in this game though, the amount of immigration you get is dependent on how many liberal reforms you have, and the US starts with a bunch of them, plus that really big "land of opportunity" bonus you get for being a democratic American nation.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:37 pm »

The US really is a guaranteed superpower in this game though, the amount of immigration you get is dependent on how many liberal reforms you have, and the US starts with a bunch of them, plus that really big "land of opportunity" bonus you get for being a democratic American nation.

In Vic2, the US is a defiant power house, but I find it a little bit boring to play...

I tended to like to play as Belguim and gave waraid to the Confederacy to keep that war going, while I try to dominate South America.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 05:08:17 am »

Oh dear, china just westernized and USA is now getting 30k+ immigrants a month instead of around 15k.
At least Brazil and Canada are getting some as well.

Yup, the bonus from being in the Americas alone is pretty large, add to it the other stuff they get and that is where the migrants will go.
If I recall correctly there's also the fact that people can't migrate away from the Americas, which helps them a bit too I imagine
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]