Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin bits - Where do the heads go? Do they become skulls?  (Read 762 times)

pandaflex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Goblin bits - Where do the heads go? Do they become skulls?
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:49:33 pm »

Hey All,

So I've got a bit of a conundrum:

I have a bunch of decently skilled axedwarves that are quite efficient at separating disarmed, trapped goblins into goblin-bits (arms, legs, heads, etc). Am I correct in understanding that these goblin-bits will decay into usable goblin-bones over time(i.e. the "sentient" restriction does not apply in this case)?

Basically, I seem to have lost the goblin "heads". Do they become "partial skeletons" for a while before becoming skulls? Something like

zxgx-goblin's head  >>>> zxgx-goblin's partial skeleton >>>(time passes)>> zxgx-goblin's skull

Or are these goblin bits useless and will never become skulls?

Basically, I was planning on using these goblin skulls as a pile in the royal throne room of the dorf king, with larger piles near the entrance to my fort....which is incidentally called "Martyrcastle." Named by the gobz, no doubt.

cheers

-pandaflex

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin bits - Where do the heads go? Do they become skulls?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »

heads take a lot longer than other body parts to decay to their bone state (skulls) in my experience from operating my corpse grinders.

Apparently you need to have removed the 4 types of teeth, plus additional teeth if they arent generic teeth, also need to have removed the ears and nose cartilage. In the time i've grounded goblin corpses i have not had a case where i got a skull, meaning its very hard to grind the head to the point of removing all those parts without killing the zombie head outright first.

my sig has a link to the corpse grinder page, you need a necromancer to revive goblin body parts though.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 06:26:13 pm »

won't dropping into a messy explosion of body parts handle the proper dismemberment of the head's facial features?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:31:25 pm »

no, dropping from a great height only separates the arms, legs, and head from the torso, usually resulting in said body parts and 5-8 bones for goblins, but the teeth and ear/nose cartilage remain on the head.

the link in my sig is also slighty outdated tbh and hasnt been updated with care, the dropping method is by far really outdated as skeletons (partial skeleton) with no vital organs like brains/heart can be 100% ground safely using serrated discs without jamming. It would be more efficient now to just spike the fleshy goblins to death and then minecart stop their partial skeletons (after the rotting) onto the discs or drop them alive with breastplate and helmet intact, onto the discs.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:54:26 am »

Even if you reanimate just a head and then drop the zombie head? won't it explode like that?

Do serrated discs slice nose, ears, teeth, etc... from heads?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:00:11 am »

theres not a efficient way to specifically separate heads from other body parts to test this, so it has not been tested extensively, but i have not gotten 1 skull so far from all my grinding and dropping, so the answer is very likely no, heads will not separate even if dropped to explode.

Serrated discs can separate the cartilage but at a very slow rate compared to grinding other body parts (most attacks will pass right through, as those were aimed at the brain which doesnt exist any more). Grinders tend to get cleaned out before all cartilage can be separated from heads due to the reanimation of useless non-useable bone yielding body parts (specifically hands, wrist bones, hand bones, etc...) that slows the efficiency of the grinders.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:01:19 am »

This is why we need pools of acid. Strip things to the bone.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 02:09:55 am »

only works if the acid dissolves cartilage and ligaments but leaves pure bone intact.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:08:54 pm »

Butchering produces skulls. I think some raw editing is in order.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:50:51 pm »

heads take a lot longer than other body parts to decay to their bone state (skulls) in my experience from operating my corpse grinders.
Time is not a factor - all rottable materials rot at the same rate, so either they will or they won't.

Apparently you need to have removed the 4 types of teeth, plus additional teeth if they arent generic teeth, also need to have removed the ears and nose cartilage. In the time i've grounded goblin corpses i have not had a case where i got a skull, meaning its very hard to grind the head to the point of removing all those parts without killing the zombie head outright first.
This is correct, and it also applies to severed limbs decaying into usable bones.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.