Poll

Highest percentage of ecstatic dwarves?

<10%
10% - 30%
30% - 50%
50% - 70%
70% - 90%
>90%

Author Topic: What's the highest percentage of your fortress above Ecstatic happiness?  (Read 1552 times)

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if anyone has a 100% ecstatic fortress,

or a 100% miserable fortress

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Give everyone a grand bedroom with a legendary dining room to boot, everyone's ecstatic. Except the nobles, but if you traumatize them so they don't care about much all anything anymore, you can have a Fort where everyone is ecstatic or close to it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Typically the only people below ecstatic are vampires and their food (children), assuming the military's progressed to the point where they're all 2gud to care about patrol duty. But by that point, there are probably only 5 dwarves who actually do any labors anymore, with everyone else training.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually hover around 75-90% only due to babies.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped

I don't know about most but in my current fort I have 38%
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I've run 100% ecstatic fortresses before without any problems.
Mist Generator + Individual Rooms + Legendary dining room + legendary statue garden + a few binaries to fix soldier happiness + no recent deaths = 100% ecstatic

Really I'd say the mist generator is the key thing to it. Even without a good dining room or individual bedrooms a single mist generator can easily keep 50-80% of my population ecstatic even in times of trouble.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aside from those times when half your fortress gets slaughtered, I find that happiness is only ever an issue for the first year or two, and even I don't worry about it unless are undead to deal with. In addition to what everyone else said, cook nothing but roasts as soon as you can afford to. Food is stupidly plentiful as it is.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, it stops at ecstasic? I thought content was the maximum. :o

...*cough cough* just kidding...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i almost always have 90% or more ecstatic with the few 10% being armor/weapon smiths who have their masterworks melted down, and some dwarves who hate common vermin. I dont use mist generators since those kill fps, but i am considering making a semi-automatic one that i can turn on and off manually. My dwarves only have decent bedrooms on average, eat mixed amounts of prepared and unprepared food since i dont have many cooks, but dine in a legendary dining room.

What i do to keep them happy is to try to get rid of as many unhappy-thought causing factors as possible in advance. This includes smashing and slabbing children, useless dwarves with a stupidly high amount of relationships, and useless pets when they have happiness to spare. I usually let dwarves keep their spouse though, since thats only 1 relationship and i consider it worth the labor that a working dwarf provides. It should be noted that if you atom-smash someone and slab them before the ghost appears, then no unhappy thoughts related to their death is ever generated if no one saw them die.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile

This includes smashing and slabbing children, useless dwarves with a stupidly high amount of relationships, and useless pets when they have happiness to spare.
I'm just envisioning a fascist fortress with Catsup as its Fuhrer, and propagandistic engravings everywhere.

"For future prosperity, we must destroy posterity!"

"Be careful who you make friends with."

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones between the stones."

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This includes smashing and slabbing children, useless dwarves with a stupidly high amount of relationships, and useless pets when they have happiness to spare.
I'm just envisioning a fascist fortress with Catsup as its Fuhrer, and propagandistic engravings everywhere.

"For future prosperity, we must destroy posterity!"

"Be careful who you make friends with."

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones between the stones."

I feel like this needs its own thread: "What is your forts motto?"

Too lazy to make my own thread though :/
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like this needs its own thread: "What is your forts motto?"

Too lazy to make my own thread though :/
you know what?... i never really had one, i dont think im a evil fuhrer overlord who takes joy in the pain (for dwarves) of eliminating children and expendable dwarves that have a fun amount of relationships. Im simply doing it as a necessity to prevent tantrum spirals from ever affecting my fort.

i guess if i needed to have a motto, it would be "Survival of the fortress at any, and all costs!"