Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stupid question  (Read 548 times)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stupid question
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

ok at my farm the crops that could be grown the names are all red (ie Plump helmets text is red) on the building menu what does this indicate i dont have enough seeds?

also i'm having trouble with random items that my dwarves refuse to move even though they arn't forbiden,

and lastly that my dwarves are not taking items i designte to the dumping areas (there are 3)

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: stupid question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Crops with red names indicate that you're coming to the end of the season and there's not enough time left to grow them within that season. The farm plot will have the current season automatically selected - press 'q', have a look at the farm plot and select the next season (unless you're in winter, in which case you'll have to wait until spring to do this). Select crops to grow on the plot ahead of time and the farmers will pretty much run autonomously until/unless they run out of seeds or something equally disastrous happens.

More info on the random items would help indicate the problem. Are you trying to move them to stockpiles? If so, what settings have you applied to the stockpiles?

Regarding dumping designations not happening (part of this could also apply to the above point): My guess is that either the items for dumping are outside and you've got it set that dwarves ignore refuse from outside, or your dwarves don't have the relevant hauling labour enabled (refuse hauling, in this case, regardless of what it is you're dumping).

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

im trying to move a marble grate and yes thjeres plenty of stockpile room
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:26:00 am »

Hi!

I am not sure, do you wish to move the grates to a stockpile or do you wish to put them somewhere else?

If you wish to place them in a stockpile, your dwarves are probably too busy with things they like better. Disabling alternative jobs could be an answer.

If you wish to place them somewhere else, they might be tasked for being moved to a stockpile. Then, you cannot interact with them until they have reached that stockpile.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Deathworks

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

no i have like 10 free dwarves that are doing nothing...and i do want it to go to a stock pile...

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

Are the hauling jobs on? You may have turned them off to pump out more products.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »

Again, I'll reiterate that you may have turned off hauling jobs. Another possibility is that your stockpile's settings don't allow for the item - if you made a stockpile specifically to hold this grate, make sure you haven't accidentally forbidden material, core quality and total quality. This is a common error that newbies make when assigning specific stockpiles. They'd make a pile for, say, beds and doors, so go to custom settings, "block all", then permit beds and doors. Unfortunately, this would cause the stockpile to remain empty because materials/metals and qualities haven't been set - these options are there so you can have things like steel swords in one pile and silver swords in another, or all of your masterwork crafts in one pile while excluding other crafts (which would go into another pile); if they're all disabled then nothing will be in the stockpile.
Does this sound anything like what you may have done?
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

nope i leave hauling on cause i want stuff hauled and i dont use specific stock piles much jsut funiture, or goods

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

Have you checked the 'o'rders screen? I know that there are some hauling options on there that can occasionally be toggled by accident when trying to do something else.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside