Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how to cage-trap FBs?  (Read 1392 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to cage-trap FBs?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

You can trap them with drawbridges. Artifact furniture makes the best bait if you have it, since it's indestructible. If you don't have any, regular furniture can work, but you need to keep a close eye on it and time the bridge raising very carefully. Maybe use three or four pieces to buy yourself a little more time.

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 06:06:41 pm »

That just sucks.

Short of syndroming them unconcious, there's no way to catch them then.

For that you would need something like stunning dust impregnated crossbow bolts, and a drop pit filled with cagetraps.

Drop the FB in, all floor tiles are a cagetrap, and start poking it with the stundust bolts. It passes out, bam. That's assuming you *have* such a syndrome inducing weather you can weaponize though.

I suppose that if the FB is a desirable webber/weaponizable extract puker, you could use the "wash" method to wash them into a specially made pillbox made of fortification slits, then just wall up the cieling.  Still "caught".

Personally, I just wall them off and ignore them.

Could you potentially cave-in a rock "cage" on them? It's a one-shot trap, but it could work

You can get the same effect by luring a FB to a "cage"(walls/fortifications) with a sacrificial animal. Get a rope you don't care about, put it in the tile you want the FB. Assign an animal you don't care about to the rope, and allow the FB to path to it. Once in your cage, and shredding whatever animal you had in there, have a bridge built that raises up to complete the cage walls. After that, you can disassemble the lever for the bridge, and it effectively becomes a wall. I've trapped 4 web-shooting FBs using this method, and have a silk farm that also sprays web on cages to trap non-webbed FBs. If I killed everything in my zoo, I'm sure the age would change.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:08 pm »

FBs (and any creature about elephant weight or heavier) are not pushed by water due to being too heavy.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »

That sucks even more.

Ok, what about dodging into a trap?

Send a very heavily weighted minecart on a powered roller down the hallway, with the only tiles to dodge to being covered in cage traps?
Either the FB will get gibbed, or caught, right?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:13 pm »

That sucks even more.

Ok, what about dodging into a trap?

Send a very heavily weighted minecart on a powered roller down the hallway, with the only tiles to dodge to being covered in cage traps?
Either the FB will get gibbed, or caught, right?

Nope. The cart could injure/kill the FB, but it wouldn't be caught simply by dodging onto a tile that contains a cage trap.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »

That just sucks.

Short of syndroming them unconcious, there's no way to catch them then.

For that you would need something like stunning dust impregnated crossbow bolts, and a drop pit filled with cagetraps.

Drop the FB in, all floor tiles are a cagetrap, and start poking it with the stundust bolts. It passes out, bam. That's assuming you *have* such a syndrome inducing weather you can weaponize though.

I suppose that if the FB is a desirable webber/weaponizable extract puker, you could use the "wash" method to wash them into a specially made pillbox made of fortification slits, then just wall up the cieling.  Still "caught".

Personally, I just wall them off and ignore them.

Could you potentially cave-in a rock "cage" on them? It's a one-shot trap, but it could work
Oh my god, that sounds like the most insane way to attempt to catch a FB conceivable. While it wouldn't really be practical for purposes of moving the FB around, this MIGHT work to get it into a pit. I would love to try this myself but I don't have a fort going atm
Pages: 1 [2]