Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid fey Dorfs... orz  (Read 689 times)

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid fey Dorfs... orz
« on: March 08, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

Hi all,

I haven't been playing DF for very long (the game I'm currently working on is my first fortress to last longer than 3 years), and I have a question.

I've had a few fey dwarves and so far I've been able to handle all but one of them (the first one went on a rampage when he didn't find the shell he wanted and promptly got torn apart by my horde of puppies), but now a metalsmith has gone fey, and he's not touching any of my workshops and isn't doing anything apart from hanging around the room where most of my ore is stored. So it's pretty obvious he wants to create something out of metal... The thing is, I haven't even begun to set up my metal industry yet.

Is there any way at all I can prevent him from going insane? There's no way I can set up an entire metal industry with all that's going on in my fort... I was saving that for later once I've got a few other things set up. I'd really hate losing my only metalsmith even though I'm not using him yet...

on''t ask for guarantees. And don''t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.
--------------------
The fact that a believer is happie

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
Re: Stupid fey Dorfs... orz
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 10:37:00 am »

Check his skills, and build one of each of the appropriate workshops. Sometimes dwarves will smelt raw ore using JUST THE POWER OF THEIR MIND...
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

Eh, it's worth a try I guess.

Also an unrelated question:

When setting up one pile to take items from another pile, which pile do you have to select first? The one you want the resources transferred to or the one you want the resources taken from?

Ooh, and even more questions. Lol, once I ask one I keep thinking of new ones.

Once you've linked a trained animal to a specific Dwarf so they follow him/her around, how do you 'unlink' them... so they become stray again. Or if that's not possible, 'relink' them to a different dwarf?

(more editing)
Wow, your tip seems like it's working, DuncanFrost! I build a Metalsmith's Forge and he dove right at it and started gathering materials. I guess he really did smelt all that ore using the power of his mind... Thanks for the help!   :D

(last edit... I promise!)
Haha he finished his work and became a Legendary Armoursmith! I've named him "Duncan Frost".   :D
This is what he made:
"This is a bronze chain leggings. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Chrysoberyl, studded with copper and encircled with bands of silver. This object menaces with spikes of copper. On the item is an image of dwarves in copper. The dwarves are laboring.

[ March 08, 2007: Message edited by: Nephilim ]

on''t ask for guarantees. And don''t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.
--------------------

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

When using the "Take From Pile" 'q' the destination pile and hit 't'. Then move the cursor to the pile you want to take from. Be warned, that if you get really heavy into using custom stockpiles (something that's happened to me recently), not all of the materials will be transfered.

For example: I have a pile set up outside for my Herbalist to gather plants. It accepts everything. Next to my still I have a pile that will not take Dimple Cups, Quarry Bushes, Hide Root (basically anything that can't be turned into glorious booze). If the Herbalist shoves some wild strawberries in a barrel with Hide Root, that barrel will stay on the source pile.

As for re-assigning dogs, I don't believe that's currently possible. But they will follow their trainer around until assigned, so I usually make the trainer someone who spends a lot of time wandering from the fortress, wood cutter/collector or hunter.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

If a fey dwarf hangs around somewhere, its just because he doesn't have the appropriate workshop, it doesn't really matter where he hangs out.

Try building more types of workshops and see if he takes over one.

EDIT: Realized that my post seems as if I'm refering to this specific incident (which would make it pointless since the problem was resolves), and not just a general statement (which it was), so I add this EDIT to clear things up.  :)

[ March 08, 2007: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

quote:
As for re-assigning dogs, I don't believe that's currently possible. But they will follow their trainer around until assigned, so I usually make the trainer someone who spends a lot of time wandering from the fortress, wood cutter/collector or hunter.

Yeah well I assigned half my wardogs to the fey metalsmith this topic is about because I thought he was going to go insane soon, so I thought I'd let those dogs take care of him if the worst happens, and then reassign them when he died. But then help arrived and the metalsmith didn't die, so now he's stuck with half a dozen wardogs chasing him around...

quote:
If a fey dwarf hangs around somewhere, its just because he doesn't have the appropriate workshop, it doesn't really matter where he hangs out.

Are you sure of this? I noticed my fey mason hang out in my stone stockpile before I built him his workshop, and this fey metalsmith was hanging out in my ore storage... And it wasn't just because that's where they went fay. They went fey and then moved to their spot. I've only seen this twice because for all other cases I already had the shop they needed so they didn't go idle waiting for me to get them what they wanted. So it may be coincidence but it didn't seem like that to me TBH.
--------------------

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

Another question about fey dwarves...

I've now got a fey Jeweler that has claimed a Jeweler's Workshop and wants rough gems... he has several bins full of rough gems sitting right next to him. Does he not recognise the gems because they are binned, or does he simply want a specific gem I don't have at the moment?

I wouldn't mind losing the Jeweler nearly as much as I would have minded losing the Metalsmith, but still... I'm sure a legendary Jeweler has it's uses, if only for the nice stat-boost he'd recieve.

--------------------

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 07:46:00 am »

Things that are tagged as "in progress" for hauling might as well not exist, as far as anybody wanting to use that item.  So if you are trying to shuffle the rough gems from one location to another, then he can't "see" them until they are free again.

But more realistically, he just wants a specific gem which you don't have. This is especially annoying when they want a very rare gem.  Examine the dwarf's Thoughts And Preferences, and you'll see a list of things they "like".  Chances are good that the gem they want to cut is one of the types they Like.

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

The only gem she liked was opal, and I have heaps of opal... she didn't touch it.

Not that it matters anymore I guess. She gave up and now she won't leave her room even though she's dying of thirst.  :confused:

--------------------

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 09:15:00 am »

Rough gems can, and often does, mean glass.  Green, clear or crystal.

Check the Wiki under fey moods.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

Yeah, it may have been glass. I've had more than a few fey dwarves want glass for their creations.
Nowadays I get the glass industry up before first fall (gives the architect something to do in between road building) and make all three types.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:36:00 am »

Wow... another metalsmith, and he's gone fey too.

The bugger claimed a Kennel. This should be interesting. I bet he's gonna make a war dog surrounded by onyx bands, menacing with spikes of bronze, and engraved with pictures of laughing gorillas. Or something.  :roll:

--------------------

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

I've never heard of one claiming a kennel. This should be interesting   ;)
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

Unfortunately, the kennel-claimer drowned himself in the river after I couldn't get him the ore he wanted. =(
--------------------

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

I once had a metalsmith claim a Still and create a tin idol artifact to become a Legendary Furnace operator. Contrary to what I expected, the still was not permanently 'converted' into a forge, it stayed a still.
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness