Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How good is a bone sword?  (Read 1968 times)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
Re: How good is a bone sword?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 12:28:13 pm »

I've been pumping weaponsmithing on all my 60ish dwarves until they were Adequate.

Only one of them made a weapon, everybody else typically claims Craftsdwarf's Workshop and Jeweler's shop...
What shop they claim is based on their highest moodable skill.  Those dwarves were apparently better craftsdwarves and jewelers than weaponsmiths.
Or they just didn't have enough weaponsmith skill to mood that and since they were skill-less they went to a craftsdwarf shop.

I'm fairly certain any skill level is sufficient, but I think it's a roll to determine what gets mooded. I think.

Well majority of my civilians are made to forge either an amour piece or a weapon once...so that gives them a dabbling skill in weapon/amour smithing. This enables me to get pumped out legendaries in no time instead of the default craftsdwarf. My current fort has many artifact weapons and armour. :)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »

Yeah. The way it works is it looks at all skills, removes any skill that has no experience at all or does not have the potential to create an artifact at all, and then picks whichever one is highest experience out of what's left--or sends them to craftdwarfs shop, if there's nothing left.

So while it's perfectly fine to make each person make a single weapon, you can't expect them all to make weapon artifacts if you ever allow them to do ANY OTHER JOB. Most food production is safe, though, since you can't get legendary food. Skills that will influence a mood--moodable skills, if you will--and therefore should be avoided, are Weaponsmithing (obviously), Armorsmithing, Bone Carving, Bowyer, Carpenter, Clothier, Weaver, Engraver (Stone Detailing), Leatherworker, Tanner, Gem Cutter, Gem Setter, Glassmaker, Mason, Miner, Mechanic, Metalcrafter, Metalsmith, Stone Crafter, and Wood Crafter. All other labors are acceptable, and do not directly influence the choice of artifact item made.

HOWEVER. Note that a specific dwarf with a military profession who is currently active in the military at the time of selection cannot be chosen from the "dwarf lottery" that picks the person who actually gets the mood. Furthermore, the dwarf's actual profession, not their highest moodable skill, determines the weight (or how many "tickets" they get) for that dwarf--so a dwarf who actually makes weapons for a living has a 350% increased chance of being chosen for the mood than, say, a farmer with dabbling weaponsmithing, or someone with no useful skills at all. Plan accordingly.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 02:02:07 pm »

Furthermore, the dwarf's actual profession, not their highest moodable skill, determines the weight (or how many "tickets" they get) for that dwarf--so a dwarf who actually makes weapons for a living has a 350% increased chance of being chosen for the mood than, say, a farmer with dabbling weaponsmithing, or someone with no useful skills at all. Plan accordingly.
I kept all that in mind except the profession! I mean how my dwarves labours should be assigned and the military part for it to work(Recruits get mood lottery though). This profession thing wasn't in the wiki. There's always something new to learn....Shouldn't this be added in the wiki???

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »

Furthermore, the dwarf's actual profession, not their highest moodable skill, determines the weight (or how many "tickets" they get) for that dwarf--so a dwarf who actually makes weapons for a living has a 350% increased chance of being chosen for the mood than, say, a farmer with dabbling weaponsmithing, or someone with no useful skills at all. Plan accordingly.
I kept all that in mind except the profession! I mean how my dwarves labours should be assigned and the military part for it to work(Recruits get mood lottery though). This profession thing wasn't in the wiki. There's always something new to learn....Shouldn't this be added in the wiki???
It is on the wiki, though many people misinterpret it as determining the skill a dwarf moods in due to not fully reading the text around it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]