Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Public Goblin Danger . . . Cage?  (Read 1327 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Public Goblin Danger . . . Cage?
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:37:40 pm »

Situation: I want to torture a goblin for everyone's amusement. Ideally, this would be in my fort's High Temple, where the faithful could pay tribute to Armok and Pull the Lever / R, which would send an artifact bone shortsword stabbing (swinging?) at the captured goblin War Leader, who is locked in a golden cage a couple of tiles away.

Problem 1: Cages are essentially suspended-animation chambers, shielding their occupants from nearly everything. Am I required to use walls for containment? If so, will using glass walls cause the sight of the hostile goblin to spook my civilians?

Problem 2: Just how dangerous is an artifact bone sword, anyway? To ensure non-lethality, would I have to first put the goblin in a more conventional danger room, "training" for the exact same time as a similarly-equipped raw recruit, and then assume that the goblin's skills are at least as good as the recruit's?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Public Goblin Danger . . . Cage?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:08 am »

For some reason I misread "Danger" as "Dancer" in the title at first glance. Mildly disturbing.

If the leader has armor I don't think a bone sword will be much of a problem (unless he gets really unlucky and gets stabbed in the unprotected face.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:09 am »

Problem 3.: a sword can't be placed in an upright spike trap, only a weapon trap.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:15 am »

Problem 1: Cages are essentially suspended-animation chambers, shielding their occupants from nearly everything. Am I required to use walls for containment? If so, will using glass walls cause the sight of the hostile goblin to spook my civilians?
No. Glass walls are opaque and creatures in cages and chains do not spook civilians or soldiers any more, as of recent releases.

Problem 2: Just how dangerous is an artifact bone sword, anyway?
Not very. Yet an unarmoured foe will fall to it all the same.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:28:33 am »

Problem 3.: a sword can't be placed in an upright spike trap, only a weapon trap.
Damn. So the only way to involve a Pull the Lever would be to, say, have a retracting drawbridge drop the goblin onto the weapon trap? That'd be a pain in the ass . . .
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:32:45 am »

If a chained goblin doesn't spook anyone, you can put 8 spear traps surrounding a tile with the chain.  The goblin will wander randomly within the 9 tiles he can reach, so the lever pull should hurt him most of the time.  Wooden training spears are even safer than an artifact bone sword, and you can still decorate them to all hell if you'd like.  The chain should stay in place unless the goblin gets knocked so hard the projectile code takes him outside the chain's range.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:28 am »

I guess if using the 3x3 room idea, one of them can be the artifact bone sword weapon trap, and others are linked to lever.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »

The chain should stay in place unless the goblin gets knocked so hard the projectile code takes him outside the chain's range.

Or you put more than one weapon in a trap. Multiple weapons can cause multiple dodges can cause multiple tiles moved. Although I've never tried it with a chain so your mileage may vary.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 05:33:17 pm »

If a chained goblin doesn't spook anyone, you can put 8 spear traps surrounding a tile with the chain.
Here's an idea, chain the goblin into a space surrounded completely by bars, and put a garbage dump over his head. The items dumped may vary from useless junk, to nonlethal glass blades, to masterwork giant axe blades :D
Of course, this requires more attention on the player's part.

And yes, chained prisoners don't scare anyone.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:12:03 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 05:53:22 pm »

1. Place eight nests and eight chicken around him.
2. Automatic, renewable chicken torture.

Alternatively, put the goblin in a tiny room with beehives. :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...