Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well. I'm brand new. Bet you can guess what this topic  (Read 1186 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Well. I'm brand new. Bet you can guess what this topic
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Did you buy silk thread or silk cloth (may seem silly, but you just said 'silk')?

If silk cloth, then you don't need the loom and its associated job task, and are ready to use it at a clothiers or make silk crafts.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

If I remember correctly, it was just called "cave spider silk." I assumed that had to be turned into thread, and then that into cloth. I dunno where it is in my fort, though, so I dunno. I've been trying to find where I put it for a while. >.<
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

I don't think you can buy straight webs off of the traders; the minimum you can get is silk thread. That thread will need to be woven into cloth at the loom before it can be used.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Yeah, the trading window is a bit small... you could have picked up anything: a cave spider silk cap, cloth, thread, thong, etc. In the future, you can use "v" to view what the item is when you're trading (and in many other windows as well). I'd say build a clothesmaker's shop (b-w-k, IIRC) and see if you're able to build a piece of spider silk clothing from it.

[Edit: Me fail English? That's unpossible!]

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Oh-ho, I see. I probably did buy clothes, because this whole question was stemming from my silk whatevers not being able to be loom'd or cloth'd. I betcha they just weren't craftable because they'd already been so.

Thanks. As soon as I find wherever they're stored, I'll know for sure.

Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

Cloth items in the traders' bins are always cloth, no matter what.
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

On savescumming:
You can change the config file (data/init/init.txt) to save seasonally for you.  This is great for two reasons:

1.  If DF crashes you aren't going THAT far back in time to get back to your save.  Some folks play in little doses, but if you are the type to play a couple hours at a time it's probably worth it to turn this on.  (I've never had a DF crash myself, but crashes happen).

2.  If you realize you did something that royally goofs up your fort, just go back to the last season's save and try again.  Personally I don't see anything wrong with savescumming for new players.  I know the motto is "Losing is fun", but still being fairly new myself I don't want to abandon my whole fortress because I did something stupid.  (Also, it's a game, so there isn't a "wrong way" to play it! :P)  I wouldn't roll back myself just because a dwarf or two died, but to each their own.

Worth noting: If you go back to the last season's save, you'll start saving in THAT folder.  So if you screw that one up, you'll have to go even FURTHER back in time.  To avoid this, go into your save folder, duplicate the season save you want to go back to, and then play out of the duplicate.

[Edit: Second sentence now starts out with the reason seasonal saves are good.  Me write good English!]

[ April 25, 2008: Message edited by: FlexibleDogma ]

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

I turned on seasonal saves for just this reason.  The computer I play DF on seems to have some overheating problems, which I haven't gotten around to fixing.  It doesn't show up often, but DF works the machine harder then nearly anything else I do with it, so it locks up most often while playing DF.  The last time before turning one seasonal saves was after 2 game years of play without saving, so needless to say I was annoyed.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

JadeFalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

clothing usually ends up in your finished goods stockpile.If you can't find the silk item you bought chances are one of your dwarves took a liking too it and you gave someone some happy thoughts for acquireing a new item  :)
Pages: 1 [2]