Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spontaneous combustion  (Read 515 times)

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
Spontaneous combustion
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:10:00 am »

Just curious, what causes grass to spontaneously combust? I just loaded up my save game, and was surprised to get messages telling me that three of my dwarves died in the heat. I had a look around and discovered that one of my buildings (doing an above-ground fort atm) was full of fire and smoke. I reloaded from backup to see if I could work out what had happened, and I discovered that the fire spontaneously started from a bit of grass that was growing inside the building. I thought that was a bit odd, so I used tileedit to check the temperature of the tile, but it was exactly the same temperature as all of the tiles outside the building, and none of the other grass is on fire. Is this just a case of pyromaniac dwarven children, or what?

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneous combustion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

only thing that springs to my mind is a fire imp, I've seen them cause fires to spring up before now.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

Yeah, I checked for that. Although there is magma on the map, I was very careful to exterminate all the fire imps when I arrived, and I can confirm that none are currently alive. Also, the area the fire started in is about as far away from the magma as you can get.

Interestingly enough, it seems that dwarven children have no bones? I did not know this until now.

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

Just suffered from the same thing, although my fire began in a pile of clothing left by the last goblin caravan.  What is odd, is after the first fire began, another began in the remains of another goblin corpse.

How long does it take a fire to burn itself out?  I've been waiting almost half a year now for this narrow cow leather tunic to burn out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

I don't think it does.  It just burns until the thing it's burning is destroyed, or until it's dunked in water.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

Are you living in a scorching region?

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

yeah i had this problem a few versions back i was building an above ground fort in a scorching biom and in the middle of summer things just started bursting into flame. maybe it is a problem with the temperature of that tile being just a little too high from a combination of body heat, summer and the scorching region.