Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Integrating other species into the fort?  (Read 1113 times)

Exovian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Integrating other species into the fort?
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »

Lately I've been interested in how I could enslave integrate other races into the fort. Tiger men are obviously best for this, as they can be tamed, and thus socialize and attain positions of power where they don't cause trouble. But I like stuffing things into places they shouldn't be, and I was wondering what could be done with the other races within the confines of an unmodded game. Is there an efficient way of moving populations of perhaps hostile races into a desired area? What behaviors can be induced? Will they reproduce or somehow increase their population over time? Can they be used as a passive method of defense? Is it at all possible to calm them down and render them friendly? If they are friendly to begin with, is it safe (for me) to let them wander the fort?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Integrating other species into the fort?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:31 pm »

Sadly, friendly non-dwarves won't get any labors when integrated. :(  this makes "slave labor" nonviable.

However, hostile members of other species will instantly become "friendly" if they successfully kill megabeasts or semimegabeasts. 

As for breeding, the only experience I have with this is quite old, and probably out of date. When nestboxes were first added, I successfully got serpent people to lay eggs after forced domestication with runesmith. (No longer maintained I understand. :( ) I did not test if the eggs would hatch, but suspect that they would, having had wild turkeys steal nestboxes, and successfuly hatch wild turkey polts.

Again, this experience is quite old, and may no longer apply.

Some modern peer review science experimentation is in order.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:05 pm »

Sadly, friendly non-dwarves won't get any labors when integrated. :(  this makes "slave labor" nonviable.
True, though I think if you make them your through DFHack it might get around this.

As for breeding, intelligent creatures that don't have the [PET] token won't breed without being married. Thus the easiest way to get your chosen races to breed is simply to add the [PET] token to the female castes of whatever you want to procreate.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:17 am »

There is also the possibility of using other races as parts of traps or machinery.  For example the wiki has a section about how you can use a goblin prisoner to create a "repeater" to cause some trap or mechanism to switch on and off at intervals.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:07 am »

However, hostile members of other species will instantly become "friendly" if they successfully kill megabeasts or semimegabeasts. 

As for breeding, the only experience I have with this is quite old, and probably out of date. When nestboxes were first added, I successfully got serpent people to lay eggs after forced domestication with runesmith. (No longer maintained I understand. :( ) I did not test if the eggs would hatch, but suspect that they would, having had wild turkeys steal nestboxes, and successfuly hatch wild turkey polts.

Again, this experience is quite old, and may no longer apply.

Some modern peer review science experimentation is in order.

From what I understand, the current dfhack includes dfushion, (or whatever it's called), which does same or more as Runesmith. Don't ask me WHAT it does, as I haven't used it, but I know it exists.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:20:36 pm »

You can use it to make members of a specific species legitimate members of your population, but there are a few problems to consider first:

- When you make them members of your populace, they will immediately realize they are naked and freak the fuck out. Make them all clothiers for a while and have them produce tons of clothing - if they are not the same size as your fortress members, they will need to do it themselves. I had dingo people, and they were too small for dwarven clothes, but would produce clothes appropriate for themselves if given the task.
- Previously-wild or otherwise foreign individuals will not be properly recognized as members of the population, and thus you cannot assign them to noble or military positions through normal means.
- Members born in your fortress, especially those born of pregnancies started before their mothers were made members of the civ, will be able to be given military positions in some cases. Their relationships screen won't necessarily show their mothers or siblings, and it will never show their fathers, but regardless, if one of them dies their family will be devastated.
- They may be slow to make relationships with one-another, and thus may not form any married couples. I never saw a romance start between any of my dingo people, but that could just as well be due to a shortage of variation in the families. They won't marry their siblings or cousins, after all.
- Because they might have trouble forming relationships, there may never again be new pregnancies within your population, and it could stagnate and eventually decline.
- I had to invoke the friendship command every time I loaded the game or they would forget what they were supposed to be doing and cancel their jobs to go be tame

I have no idea whether the peoples you made members of the fortress can arrive as migrants in later forts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.