Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The problem of our success: Overpopulation  (Read 5656 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The problem of our success: Overpopulation
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-You might even say it was the result of chance and not direct human action.
-And that it killed every species that was not capable of adapting.

Human society is not the planet Earth, resource distribution is not the planet Earth, damage to the ecosystem is a part of the Earth, we live on the Earth, are dependent on it:
  • Fuck up the only planet we live on, we screw ourselves over.
Your sarcasm aside, 'educate everyone' has indeed proven to be effective, ignorance does do nothing but harm the mind and guide actions into stupidity.
Your solution is to sit by with our heads buried in the sand, wait for agriculture to fail and allow populations to starve to death [but of their own voluntary logarithmic choice of course].

• Stop decadent & wasteful living.
  • Reduce family sizes through voluntary measures. The only governments that could feasibly introduce a one child policy do not need to, China, Indonesia and India possibly aside.
  • Education would be cheaper and more beneficial to the individual and the whole in any case.
What is there to be pleased of? We are all faceless, there is no satisfaction to receive. I type this with calm will and good intentions, mainly because it is a slow progress to certain doom. All can be mitigated still.

Personally I am arguing for the survival of the human race in decent comfort. Biodiversity is nice and all and should not needlessly be sacrificed, but I would not think longer for a second in sacrificing another species for our own survival. But of course, therein lies the problem: There are very few species or ecosystems that we can afford to part with that we have not already done so with. Maybe Siberia. But there's not many where we are not reliant on. All the problems I listed were specific in that if they were ecological problems, they were caused by humans and their impact will strike humans dearly.

The part where everything sucked is rather significant too.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:40 pm »

I'll be the first to admit that these boards, on this site, may be less then the perfect medium for this. Equally, i have doubts as to the actions of those who post here. It is a start. Gervassen, the first thing I'd like to point out when making an argument on the internet, is to imagine the arguments were done properly, and refute those, rather then the usual outliers. We all expect life to go on. To be honest, there's probably plans for this somewhere, though i doubt there pleasant. You could continue mocking, or you could contribute. Constructive criticism, things like that. You might be alive to see a mess, you might not. If it matters, either way someone will spit on your grave and they might not be entirely wrong.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »

I don't think people come on anonymous discussion boards to feed an ego, especially one like this, as Novel said. I've been pushing the agriculture and excessive meat soapbox because it's an easy change for individuals to make that does make a difference, if they're aware that it's a problem. I'm not a vegetarian (I usually buy meat 1-2 times a week, but for most people that's probably too extreme) and I could never expect people to make that change, but it goes along the line of the other positive things people have been doing to reduce consumption since the environmental movement. There's no reason not to advocate water conservation or garbage reduction, but those ideas only gained ground when people became aware.

The goal of a discussion is ultimately to present ideas and in turn learn new ones, or at least gain exposure to them. I must say that it's interesting to see a point of view that doesn't view ecology as valuable. If there was any anger conveyed, it was frustration at not understanding it. Still, the topic is overpopulation, so we should really end this derail.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »

guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdjL8WXjlGI

how's that for your ideas?

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »

Frankly, the only solution is nuclear missiles applied directly to the forehead.
Of Humanity.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2013, 12:34:13 am »

Frankly, the only solution is gamma radiation applied directly to the gonads.
Of Humanity.

Much better!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2013, 12:45:56 am »

Much better!
I find myself dubious that turning gonads into the Angry Hulktes would improve the situation.

It would, however, make an excellent excuse to begin spontaneously broadcasting AC/DC. Which... you know? Maybe that would make things better. I'm not sure how, but... sure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2013, 01:24:22 am »

Much better!
I find myself dubious that turning gonads into the Angry Hulktes would improve the situation.
Angry sex would be much more terrifying.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:27 am »

When food becomes scarcer because of lost farm efficiency, people will have fewer children; and if this happens soon enough, there doesn't even need to be a global famine in the aftermath, just a slow voluntary tapering off. Many natural systems begin with exponential growth and taper off into logarithmic growth.

Correct me if I'm wrong... are you saying, when food becomes scarce, people won't have as many children? I don't know... have you ever looked up the numbers on growth rates? I wouldn't say the top countries are exactly swimming in food.

I apologize if I completely misunderstood you.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 03:33:13 am »

I remember we were covering this in Biology 1 this week when doing populations.  Developing countries have the most people, and developed countries have the smallest growth rate. 

Now I want to know what's going on in the Cook islands
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2013, 08:34:51 am »

When food becomes scarcer because of lost farm efficiency, people will have fewer children; and if this happens soon enough, there doesn't even need to be a global famine in the aftermath, just a slow voluntary tapering off. Many natural systems begin with exponential growth and taper off into logarithmic growth.

Correct me if I'm wrong... are you saying, when food becomes scarce, people won't have as many children? I don't know... have you ever looked up the numbers on growth rates? I wouldn't say the top countries are exactly swimming in food.

I apologize if I completely misunderstood you.
On a technicality, that is true, provided that when food is scarce, people are spending more time of the day scrounging/hunting for the scarce food. 
But... in reality, many people would just sit around doing nothing/being bored after getting the littlest bit of nourishment or just wait for food to come to them, which gives em time for 'recreational activity', despite the energy it takes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2013, 10:50:57 am »

If i may ask, can we do it properly or not at all? Much as i appreciate the links, I'm not interested in a half-assed derailing conversation. I did mean that i have my doubts about this board in this area.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]