Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gravity Powered Lighting  (Read 2643 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity Powered Lighting
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:57:08 pm »

What? not gravity-powered lightning?

Awww.
I actually misread it as that.
As did I. I think that my perception of what to expect is somewhat unrealistic.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »

What exactly do you think the gravity thing IS if not a rechargeable battery?
Also, the gravity  thingy doesn't need to have a rechargeable chemical battery.
fixed. Happy now

And technically, it isn't a battery, just a piece of clockwork and a powergenerator. It's a way of storing energy yes, but if you count it as a battery, then pretty much everything is

comham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 03:52:05 pm »

"battery" usually refers to a series of electrochemical cells, in the original usage as in "battery of artillery", since you'd see all the pots of acid all lined up, but I guess you could say nowadays it just means "power storage thing"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:17 pm »

"battery" usually refers to a series of electrochemical cells, in the original usage as in "battery of artillery", since you'd see all the pots of acid all lined up, but I guess you could say nowadays it just means "power storage thing"
Well, if it means anything, I still distinguish between cells and batteries.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »

There are a variety of mechanical battery systems though, such as flywheels.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »

Okay, I don't want to sound mean to the guy, but he hopes his design can sell for 10$ once mass produced. You can order a hand cranked flashlight from Amazon for 5$. He is wasting his time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 05:26:50 pm »

Okay, I don't want to sound mean to the guy, but he hopes his design can sell for 10$ once mass produced. You can order a hand cranked flashlight from Amazon for 5$. He is wasting his time.
I've never seen a hand-crank flashlight give off nearly as much light as shown in videos of the gravity light. Also, hand cranks are a PITA to hand-crank.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 07:02:33 pm »

Flashlights don't come with a stand and aren't designed to disperse light throughout a room.
I'd rather pay $10 to replace my kerosene lamp than pay $5 for a flashlight.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:48 am »

What? His light is a single LED for fuck's sake. I've got a flashlight that emit way more light than this. Also, it means the technology behind hand-crakend flashlight (aka, a battery) is cheaper than his, doesn't weight several kilograms and you don't need your lamp to be the size of a grandfather clock.

Hell, you can get a solar/handcrank lantern with 12 leds for the price of his thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 09:31:02 am »

And the problem with most crank-lamps is that the crank is tiny as shit. What he should have done is just sold one with a bigger crank. That would have made me happy anyway.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 10:43:46 am »

What? His light is a single LED for fuck's sake. I've got a flashlight that emit way more light than this. Also, it means the technology behind hand-crakend flashlight (aka, a battery) is cheaper than his, doesn't weight several kilograms and you don't need your lamp to be the size of a grandfather clock.

Hell, you can get a solar/handcrank lantern with 12 leds for the price of his thing.
That's correct, but handcrank/solar flashlights use batteries, which limits their lifespan to 500, maybe 1000 recharges at most. You can't use much more than a single LED if you try to generate energy without using batteries.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 [2]