Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best fighting units  (Read 1305 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Best fighting units
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »

What are the best people to recruit for combat squads? I want both ninja and heavy weaponry squads, so should I go with soldiers? Black belts for ninjas? Mutants?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best fighting units
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:08:20 pm »

Military officers or Navy SEALs are your best bet for weapons - the soldiers often spawn with meh skills and stats, prolly because they are just freshly recruited conservative scum.

And yeah, you are right with the black belts pretty much.

However, the best you can get for ninjas, heavy weapon units and pretty much anything else are the agents from the Intelligence HQ. Those sons of bitches are almost always extremely skilled and f'kn deadly.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:30:10 pm »

While that is true, the most easily available fighters are those with high agility, so Black Belts, Yoga Instructors, and sometimes Nurses and Doctors will have an ok agility.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:09 am »

Yeah, Black Belts make for excellent melee fighters, as do Dancers.  Athletes & Yoga Instructors tend to be OK too.  Sure, Soldiers and Agents tend to have good skills (sometimes Soldiers are a little undertrained) and will have good stats once you level them back up, but IMO that's about as much effort as training your own recruits once you factor in getting the interrogation team operating.

As usual, it's always worth checking Mutants if they're available.  Nothing like double-digit scores in all useful stats (1 Wisdom) at Urban Commando.

Firearms are pretty open as it's the gun that really makes the difference, not necessarily the user's stats.  Most gun-skills key on Agility so I'd look for Dancers & Yoga Instructors before Black Belts there.  If you're talking about actual Heavy Weapon squads, though, those are based off of Strength too so you can use the same ninja Black Belts if you like. 

(HW is about the slowest-leveling skill I've seen, though.  if you're playing with my Department Store for M249s and ammo, it's not at all cost-effective to train people solely through experience.  Firemen, as distinct from Fire Fighters, can be a good source of the first few points if your Soldiers or Agents don't have any.)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:17:04 am »

Also, Army Veterans tend to have ok agility, and start with rifle and pistol skill most of the time.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:15 am »

I trained a squad of badass black belts, led by "Bruce Lee". I put them all in various sorts of body armor, too. They kicked ass more effectively than the shotgun-and-M4 squads ever did...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.