Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrant Skill Control Options  (Read 543 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigrant Skill Control Options
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:53 am »

Brief: Add a new option to init files which will control the skill of fortress immigrants.

Possible option values:

RANDOM: same as now - you can get a lowly peasant, or you can get a Master Weaponsmith.
WEALTH: immigrant skills are capped, with cap value depending on fortress age, wealth and success. At start you are lucky to get a Competent Cheesemaker, but survive and prosper for several years and you can easily get a Great one.
UNSKILLED: same as in 40d days, immigrants may have 1-2 levels in their skills, but not more, with noticeable chunk of immigrants being peasants.
PEASANTS: all immigrants are unskilled peasants (except for special ones).
REAL: immigrants are actual dwarves generated during worldgen, with their specific skills.

The reason for this suggestion is simple: while getting highly-skilled immigrants is nice and great, they often devalue player's choices and investments in his Starting Seven. The founding dwarves, and the skills you pick for them, should matter in the long run, but all too often an overskilled immigrant will come to your fortress in the very first wave, demoting your founders to auxilliary roles.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrant Skill Control Options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:52:39 am »

Im actually in favor of the peasant -only choice, since I can be a bit of a control freak over what my dwarves jobs are.
But I still prefer to get dwarves from history, it makes the world feel more alive to me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

I'm the same. :-) But other people have other preferences, so I tried to include all options I'm aware of.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »

I think this should not be an init option, but depend on world parameters, specifically hill-dwarf and deep-dwarf sites near your fort. Embark near a lot, and you'll get better migrants. Being near another fortress that's not doing as well as your own could inspire some better craftsmen from there to move to your fort.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »

I'd very much prefer (as has been proposed and discussed in previous threads on the subject) to be able to in play decide and notify the dwarven liaison what type of labor you are most interested in, and have that impact what kind of migrants you get. For example, you could specify your fortress is in need of skilled workers, possibly even a specific profession, which would mean you get a larger amount of older skilled dwarves of the specified types. Or you could send word that you are in need of soldiers, meaning more dwarves with fighting skills, and similar other options for other types of dwarves. Possibly even an option to send tribute to convince the most skilled craftsdwarf (high master or higher if any are available) in the land to take up residence in your fort. Loads of options that would both be more fun and useful and easy than init settings ^^

Edit: Of course what King Mir noted should also play part, if a certain type of workers are more common in the world you should obviously have a larger part of your migrants be of that type (which to some extent is already implemented). Asking for a legendary weaponsmith wouldn't be much use if there are none in the world that could migrate to you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:44:41 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:53:59 pm »

I like the idea of them being actual dwarves and not necessarily skilled

if I could ask for professions, I would always choose soldier. When it comes to everything else, they could all be peasants. There's a certain satisfaction in training a legendary dwarf yourself.

As for soldiers, without a danger room too many of them die, they never get very good, they get grumpy(it's a bug I know but still...) and you end up using all the males so you have to get women in the army and that's never a good thing