Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Starter  (Read 383 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Fire Starter
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »

flint exists in DF, the question is why can't dwarves use it?

this proposal is simple. flints=fire starting. the construction of fireplaces and potential for much more !fun! opportunities.

i know i'm not the only one asking for this, but i hope i'm speaking for the community here. the only reliable source of fire in this game is magma. it's often a late game material, unless you have access to a volcano, which poses its own problems. i'm picturing a new workshop, specifically for the creation of lighters. lighters can also be used to make fireplaces, which changes the light level and stops cave adaptation. fireplaces need fuel in the form of wood or coal. torches can also exist, which pretty much does the same thing, but light is temporary. candles can be made too using wax.

i'm basically suggesting a more controllable and earlier replacement for magma. other players, feel free to include your suggestions and mods to my proposal.

Speaking of mods, if someone modded this already, please tell me. ty
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Starter
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:58:48 pm »

Adventurers seem quite capable of starting fires without flint. (I guess they rub two sticks together or something?) Torches are planned, but not until the Fire and Lighting Arc.

Spoiler: Fire and Lighting Arc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:07:30 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:01:32 am »

It's on the devlog as well.