Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I save voicemails permanently, perferably in an audio file format?  (Read 1777 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Currently, two things are eating up space in my voicemail box:

1.) Collect call requests from the jail, several a day.... Filling up my voicemail inbox.
2.) Important voicemails

I need a way to record and save as audio files, voicemails from a droid smartphone. Please, if anybody has any way to do this, let me know. I really need an app or otherwise a method of doing this someway.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:31:40 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

I've not owned a smartphone, but a stopgap way of doing so would be to use a microphone and record into Audacity on a laptop or desktop computer. It won't be great quality, but it'll probably be intelligible.

If it's a smart enough phone to run Audacity, you can record from the soundcard. (I don't know if any phones can. I do not smartphone.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

1.) Collect call requests from the jail, several a day.... Filling up my voicemail inbox.
2.) Important voicemails

I need a way to record and save as audio files, voicemails from a droid smartphone. Please, if anybody has any way to do this, let me know. I really need an app or otherwise a method of doing this someway.

do you have visual voicemail feature? i know with some carriers if you ask them they can send a email with a voice recording of the message if you ask

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

2.) Important voicemails

do you have visual voicemail feature? i know with some carriers if you ask them they can send a email with a voice recording of the message if you ask

Tragically, they charge for this, but I do appreciate the suggestion.

I've not owned a smartphone, but a stopgap way of doing so would be to use a microphone and record into Audacity on a laptop or desktop computer. It won't be great quality, but it'll probably be intelligible.

If it's a smart enough phone to run Audacity, you can record from the soundcard. (I don't know if any phones can. I do not smartphone.)

I might be able to do something with a microphone next to a phone speaker if that's what you're saying. I would, of course have to find a recording program for the computer. Audacity is something I'm not familiar with currently but I do hope to be. Assuming I can do this, that would be an acceptable way of making this work.

Quite frankly, it appears that I've a lovely death threat on my phone's voice-mail system at present and rather than hand my phone over to the prosecutor's office or something, I'd rather give them a recording.

Weird thing being that, I've seen people do this before. They have sent me recordings from voicemails, but I confess that I haven't the foggiest how to do this. This fact makes me look stupid and out of date. Go figure.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

I know this doesn't help with existing messages, but you might want to consider using Google Voice in the future.  You might well have to go the Audacity route for the ones you already have though.

http://support.google.com/voice/answer/164648?hl=en
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

If you have a laptop, they usually have a microphone built in. Audacity is pretty straightforward without any modifications: just hit record and play the message near the microphone. I think you need codecs for MP3, but you should be able to save .WAV files.

Quite frankly, it appears that I've a lovely death threat on my phone's voice-mail system at present
That is most ungood. Good luck on the prosecuting, and I hope they're not serious.  :(

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

2.) Important voicemails

Tragically, they charge for this, but I do appreciate the suggestion.

Yea its a charged service but its the closest i would see to getting a high quality recording

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

A lot of times if you call your phone from another and then hit * you can interrupt the message and dial your voicemail to check it from another phone. (Your exact phone provider might be slightly different, so check online for the exact procedure, just google "check voicemail from another phone *your provider*" or whatnot.) My suggestion is to simply call your voicemail from google voice and then use audacity to record the computer audio as it plays from google voice. That should give you a high quality recording of your voicemail messages on your computer that you can then save or do whatever you want with.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

It's slightly ghetto, but you could get a double-male audio cable (solder one out of the some headphones if you need to). Simply plug it into the headphone slot of your phone, the microphone slot of your computer, and voila! A slightly-better-than-playing-it-into-the-microphone means of recording your crap.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei