Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get RCT1 to run properly  (Read 1072 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Can't get RCT1 to run properly
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »

I'm only posting here because every other avenue has failed. I can't find the patch (every link does nothing but install stupid toolbars or some other crap, no patch at all), and everything I have tried under compatibility does not work (all of the compatibility modes and various other things do nothing to help).

No matter the case, the game gets as far as the title screen, and the animation loop is cut short, but the music keeps playing as usual. Whenever I select a scenario to play, it just resets the music and animation loop and does nothing. Going to the save game folder locks up the game. Tutorial forces it into full screen mode and locks up the game. Exit just gets out of it. Whenever I get booted or otherwise get out of the game, I get the same error.
Spoiler: error (click to show/hide)
Both the game and it's expansion are installed, and the expansion disc is in the disc drive. I have windows 7.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get RCT1 to run properly
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:05:15 pm »

You can try this patch (it's on a trusted French site, and some French players say it works). And you can also try to run the game with admin rights.

Last solution: buy it on GoG...  :-\

E:
You can also try to run the game in different compatibility modes (Win98, WinXP, Vista ???), with or without the patch.
EE:
More info here, but it seems to be the same patch.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:09:36 pm by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »

This thread (http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coaster-games/5684) has a few suggestions including this:
after quite abit of testing, I finally managed to get RCT to work. If this doesn't work, make sure that you've set you the compatibilty of RCT to Win 98/Me

1. Navigate to your RCT scenario's folder E.g (D:\Program Files\Hasbro Interactive\RollerCoaster Tycoon\Scenarios)

2. Right click any scenario and hit Open With...

3. Open with rct.

For some strange reason, this completely bypasses the Exception Error. Hope this help you guys after such a long time.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:47:11 pm »

You can try this patch (it's on a trusted French site, and some French players say it works). And you can also try to run the game with admin rights.

Last solution: buy it on GoG...  :-\

E:
You can also try to run the game in different compatibility modes (Win98, WinXP, Vista ???), with or without the patch.
EE:
More info here, but it seems to be the same patch.
That first link is for RCT2. The second link I already tried, and it just game me spam downloads.

This thread (http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coaster-games/5684) has a few suggestions including this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This made no difference. However, I did find that after uninstalling and trying to reinstall, the game worked fine so long as the expansion was not installed as well.

edit: messed up the quote

edit 2: I found the proper patch! Game works perfectly now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:06:18 pm by Lagslayer »