Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find a weapon/armor shop  (Read 2964 times)

snakesoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't find a weapon/armor shop
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »

Hello,

I'm in a town, lots of shops... I enter in what a think could be armor/weapon shops, but they only sell leather and cloth stuff...

thanks!

PS: I'm using phoebus tilset

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a weapon/armor shop
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »

Look for signs or try to find them using fast travel. They are listed on the right side of screen under "significant structures".

BTW - a real dwarf doesn't buy armor. He rips them from his enemies and beats them do death with it.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:31:08 am »

As is shops in the current version are almost completely unnecessary unless you need to buy something specific (a crutch or something, maybe) or need food any are the most unlucky person alive, unable to find wild animals anyhere at all.

If you want equippment the best way to get it is basically just going to a fort in a town or something and taking it from the piles of it that are left around there. It's not considered stealing (for whatever reason) and there's normally plenty there to choose from. Buying from a shop is only really useful if you've got plenty of useless stuff to trade with and can't find the specific item anywhere else.

Also, in an unmodded version a fort or shop will only sell in human sizes, so an elf or dwarf will be unable to wear armour or clothing from them. Weapons are fine, though.

As far as finding it goes, travel around in travel mode with the significant structures screen up, it will be listed there if you go near one. A weapon shop should be marked by a sign that appears (in the Mayday tileset, at least) the same as a weapon on the ground. Not so sure about armor though it should be the same as armour on the ground.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:06 am »

Dear snakesoul!

Since I don't use an alternative tileset, I can't comment on the icons, so you may have to use the 'l'ook command and travel mode as the others have already stated.

In order to get metal armor and weapons, you may try the armor smith and weapon smith in the town. There should be one of each in about every town. However, it is not uncommon for one or both of them to have no goods for sale at all. My guess is that material availability may be a reason. If they have goods for sale, they are usually copper, sometimes iron. I am not sure, but I think silver weapons may also appear in the shops of weapon smiths.

Cloth imports are usually no good for metal armor, as they normally have only cloth and leather, as you have already noticed.

However, you should try general import. While many of them only have trinkets like amulets and figurines (which make for good foreign currency if you travel between realms), they also have armor and weapons. They definitely have copper and iron weapons and armor, as well as silver weapons, but you have to find the right store. I am not sure, but I think if you are really, really lucky, you might find a bronze item in one of them, but if it is possible, they are probably extremely rare.

Personally, I have been able to equip two adventurers completely in iron armor in a major trade town in my current world, and there are still more iron parts in the shops around. So, if you find the right town, you should probably have no problem with getting that equipment.

On the other hand, commenting on something mentioned in a previous post, I have not yet seen any crutches sold in stores in town... It seems as if they are even rarer than bronze equipment.

As for dwarven-sized equipment, I am not sure whether exports from player fortresses will be sold in human towns afterwards... I always wanted to check, but haven't come around to actually do so.

Yours,
Deathworks

snakesoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:00:24 am »

Thank you very much guys!