Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medical advice for all  (Read 1843 times)

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medical advice for all
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:12:17 pm »

I see a lot of I think I might have x or y here so I thought rather than ask for advice Id just give not because I'm nice I'm not I'm just bored.
When feeling ill, depressed or any combination of above.
See a doctor who the hell do you think we are here at bay 12 forums?
What do you hope to gain by asking for medical advice here?
I mean I understand if your nation has crappy health care you may not be able to afford it but the way I see it you can't afford not to go.
any thoughts on the issue?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:14:31 pm by Gnoll Fortress »

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical advice for all
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:18:09 pm »

Because doctors cost money and it's nice to know if what you have is serious before making an appointment and then waiting a week or two to actually see a doctor, only to be told it's nothing?

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »

Yea, the crappy healthcare thing.
How are we supposed to know if it's serious?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:15 pm »

Halp me I think I'm dying.
It hurts when I touch very hot objects like stoves, is that normal? Should I get it checked out? Is it some sort of fungal virus?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »

I don't know about you, but I've never met a psychologist that did anything but go "Oh my god, your brain is so different and special and interesting!"  When I'm depressed, I'd rather ask for advice around folks who are, at the very least, not going to make me pay them for this piece of information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:33:56 pm »

... or, you know, you could just try doing a headstand.
This is a blank sig.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:38:23 pm »

I don't know about you, but I've never met a psychologist that did anything but go "Oh my god, your brain is so different and special and interesting!"  When I'm depressed, I'd rather ask for advice around folks who are, at the very least, not going to make me pay them for this piece of information.
Yea, this. So very much this.
And the worst bit is that trying to point out how impossibly useless and misleading what they are saying is, they just say you are being difficult and uncooperative. Not thinking that you are some sort of special snowflake is a symptom they hold against you...

I don't think there is such thing as a 'soul', my psychologist thought this was because of severe depression rather than taking a model based view of the natural world.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »

Hmmm my psychiatrist asked me if I was sent here to be his bane because I was disagreeing with him so much. But he's never tried to convince me to believe in souls just meditation which I'm sure is useless. Maybe he's wasting my time but he doesn't charge me, charges everyone else though. Then he supplies the drugs and that's about it really. He sometimes asks me how to win at civilization V as well.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:24:18 am »

Hmmm my psychiatrist asked me if I was sent here to be his bane because I was disagreeing with him so much. But he's never tried to convince me to believe in souls just meditation which I'm sure is useless. Maybe he's wasting my time but he doesn't charge me, charges everyone else though. Then he supplies the drugs and that's about it really. He sometimes asks me how to win at civilization V as well.

Meditation varies from person to person. I found it extremely useful, but only in a very calming area, and then only the love and kindness meditation (imagine good things and kindness happening to all creatures, even those that have done you harm).

As for why people shouldn't be asking Bay12 about medical complaints, is it's utterly easy to misdiagnose. I'm currently studying biomedical science, and one of the things you're taught is: DO NOT DIAGNOSE OVER THE INTERNET.

It's so, so easy to misdiagnose things.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:53 am »

Halp me I think I'm dying.
It hurts when I touch very hot objects like stoves, is that normal? Should I get it checked out? Is it some sort of fungal virus?
step outside then apply two kicks to the forehead, rinse and repeat if nothing changes the next day.

yes please don't trust us, find a clinic in a university or a county clinic. someone that can see you and feel you (with a degree) is much better than texting you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:41:54 am »

I have the impression that often the forum howls at people and urge them to go to the ER for ridiculous stuff, resulting in unnecessary expenses. This is another reason NOT to ask for medical advice around here, of course.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »

I have the impression that often the forum howls at people and urge them to go to the ER for ridiculous stuff, resulting in unnecessary expenses. This is another reason NOT to ask for medical advice around here, of course.
Overexaggerated though. Seems like you're seeing the superficial problem. But urging people to go to the ER over ridiculous stuff...is a bit ridiculous in itself. (You have time to post when you're in need of emergency healthcare? Hmm.)

Seems like you're insulting there. But you're not, I hope.

Guess how hard it is to actually diagnose someone? The communication between medical professional and the patient is eye to eye, personal contact. You need to see what is ailing the person, and learn his symptoms.

Here, you can at best only type out the symptoms. Say, for example, pneumonia. Now, let's read off what it is in wikipedia.

Typical symptoms include a cough, chest pain, fever, and difficulty breathing. Diagnostic tools include x-rays and culture of the sputum.

Guess what? That also describes most other diseases concerning your respiratory system. Let's give advice on the forum for that and see if it progresses from a mild case to a completely cured case, eh?

Or something simpler: "Cough."
Would you love to post on the forum on :
> How frequent that occurrence is to you?
> Medical history regarding such?
> What your activities were or kind of environment you're in

And many other things which would...perhaps take hours or even days to settle the matter?

Secondly, if anything wrong happens to the person asking - hey, username/anonymity over the internet, eh? - then the problem is that:
> You cannot sue the person giving advice
> The person giving advice must be sued for malpractice.
> You do not even know if that person is a licensed practitioner or just someone reading it off a medical blog.

While diseases do have their general descriptions on what to find and stuff, on why we do recommend seeing someone who can diagnose it is because they can do it correctly. That's it. No easy way out.

Well, other than prevention of course. That's always the best way out. Keeping healthy through exercise, and a balanced diet.

But on the monetary thing...really different per country. Unsure whether we can debate on that as its really different where I am. :/

tl;dr: Forum based Medical Advice.

Pros
> For minor cases, prrobably would be easy to fix...Probably.

Cons
> Hard to communicate - needs constant watch from other people who may not even know the situation at hand.
> Needs to be accurate and specific with what symptoms ail the person.
> Removes the person-person communication factor, being a communication barrier inasmuch as none of the senses are actually sensing the disease and all pertinent information is based on what the person types. This is the result of lack of contact - you can't talk casually. You can't give in the usual small talk which is usually associated with the usual check-ups (and often forgotten or deemed as insignificant by most) but is usually the most important factor.
> The person needs to know what exactly is ailing him/her and be able to describe it well enough for a treatment to be given. The person could screw up and get himself/herself into a worse scenario in this method.
> You don't even know if the other person is just trolling you, making a joke, apathetic, or guessing from a medical blog/information repository.

Now can we close this discussion before it devolves into trivial matters?

Or...y'know, just try to get a medical book and check on whether you're OK or not...or browse the net with the use of a search engine.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:08:58 pm by Tiruin »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:43 pm »

Official Transcript from the Time I Got a Staph Infection

Me: This zit on my leg turned black and now it won't stop oozing blood every time I fall asleep.
"Doctor": Yeeeaahhh, I can prescribe something for that.
Me: Okay.. But what is it?
"Doctor":Staphylococcus Aureus, its a topical infection.
Me: What the hell does that mean?!
"Doctor": No need to get upset, it should clear up in a couple of days if you take this antibiotic twice a day.
Me: You still haven't told me what it is. And what do you mean should?
"Doctor": Well occasionally we get a case that won't clear up, but don't worry about that.
Me: What the fuck?
"Doctor": Just relax! [completelyserious]You can always have surgery if this treatment doesn't work for you.[/completelyserious]
Me: SURGERY?!! I can't afford that!
"Doctor": Look just come back in a week, if it hasn't improved then we'll figure something out, okay?
Me: ..okay….

Well it didn't clear up. It stayed on my damn leg for a year, and the next appointment I made that same year about a month after we had the above conversation he casually told me that is has "about a 15 to 40 percent mortality rate" while doing that "so-so" gesture with his hand. I thought I was going to die (but I didn't, thank God), and then I switched docs. The end.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:13 pm »

Be very thankful you got SA not MRSA, MRSA is ridiculously tough and hard to kill.

But when they say mortality rate, that's across the board, not specifically tailored to your age or fitness. So let's say you're a fit 18-24 year old, you've got a much higher chance of surviving than an obese 60 year old.

That kinda reminds me when I had Botulism.

Me: *drags self home sixty KM on the train, had no phone and no money to contact ambulance, so I got myself home and lay out the front waiting for Dad.*
Dad gets home and tells me 'sleep but first have this electrolyte drink (lemonade + mint + salt)', so I do; when I wake up I am given quinoa to eat because it's easy on the stomach and is full of protein.

So I feel better after this (I'm of a fairly hardy constitution), but I go to the doctor and get a checkup.

Me: So I had food poisoning, and I treated it with simple salted drinks and proteiny foods, was that the right thing to do?
Doctor: Pretty much. As long as you got the electrolytes in, you'd've been fine. But judging by the severity of the symptoms, I'd've said you would have had a 50/50 mortality rate.
Me: Oh lordy. Good thing I'm tough.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:41:24 pm by Reudh »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:38:21 pm »

Be very thankful you got SA not MRSA, MRSA is ridiculously tough and hard to kill.

But when they say mortality rate, that's across the board, not specifically tailored to your age or fitness. So let's say you're a fit 18-24 year old, you've got a much higher chance of surviving than an obese 60 year old.
Yes, thank christ. I've been a wrestler for years so when the team found out I had SA I heard ALL the horror stories. ALL of them.

It also ruined my high school career and destroyed any chance I had of getting a ride for college. Sucks.