Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why wont my aquaduct work?  (Read 620 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why wont my aquaduct work?
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

I've been working on the well known magma-dooms day device, where magma is rushed over aquaducts and out into the world to incinerate everything.

The lever and gates work, the lava flows fine up until it hits the first aquaduct at the chasm, as seen in this picture :
http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magmafx7.png

I made it 3 tiles wide, but it was made in several different parts at different times because of an earlier mistake. I assumed it would work the same as long as it was 3 tiles wide, but maybe i need to build it as one object.

Any ideas?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why wont my aquaduct work?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

Eh, well I'm pretty sure aqueducts need to be built in one piece. I think the three lines act as channels, while the squares are obstacles. In other words you need those three-line tiles all the way down the middle, with the squares on the edges. That's... not what your aqueduct looks like.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

Okay i think i figured out why the magma wasn't coming, i have a bigger problem now ; NONE of my dwarves are building because they "Could not find path" even when they are 6 spaces away from it.

They were saying this when they were trying to build my road too, they said they couldnt find the path. What does that mean?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:04:00 am »

I'm not sure exactly, but "cannot find path" doesn't only mean that they can't find a path to the work site, they might not be able to find a path for moving an item off of the site.

Let's see if I can make that clearer with an example...
If you make a long channel in a one square wide rock filled corridor, if for some reason the dwarves start with a segment in the middle they'll cancel, saying "cannot find path" because they can't find a place to dump the stone (they can't dump it on a tile designated for construction for some reason).

There's also a bug, I think, when you disassemble something over the chasm or river- sometimes it seems the item hovers over an impassible square. Basically if you have a rock from a deconstructed aqueduct hovering in the middle of the chasm and try to build a new aqueduct there, the dwarves will cancel saying "cannot find path" because they can't find a path to that rock in the middle of the chasm in order to move it.

Could be any number of things though.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

"Cannot find path" can also mean the dwarves can't find a path to the objects being used to build the aqueduct (stones or whatever).