Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I go for broke to get an insider tour of SpaceX this summer?

Yes, go for it.
- 4 (80%)
No, stay home.
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Vacation Opinions Wanted  (Read 1435 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Vacation Opinions Wanted
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:59:37 pm »

I just had a conversation with my best friend, in which he revealed his father now has a job working for SpaceX. This summer, he and another one of our friends are planning to fly to California for a week and tour their operations. He's would like me to come as well, but there's a problem in that doing this would take pretty much all of my money. Now, being a college student personal money isn't all that vital to me at the moment, but this would be pretty much all of it. I'd need a round-trip ticket across the whole nation and would need a week in a hotel, as his father only has a small apartment and between him and the other friend it is full up (he signed onto this before me). This is completely disregarding any other costs that would come up.

But man. SpaceX. I fucking love SpaceX, and this is an opportunity to see it inside, in person. I'd be utterly psyched to be able to do this, to the point where I really could burn my money for it and feel fulfilled. Not to mention whatever other shenanigans my friends and I would get up to during that week. I think it would be great, but I'm uncertain.

A quick look tells me a round-trip ticket from RDU to California is $244. That's not the problem. The big problem is the hotel. I did not quite realize hotels were so expensive. Unless I'm missing something, the cheapest, most worthless ones in the area are still close to $500 for a week's stay. That comes to $744...and I have $750. I could probably get my parents to give me a little more so I can fill hotel cost and still be able to eat, but that's everything I've got. I am thus divided.

So, I'd like to hear what you all think.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vacation Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:22:20 am »

There's seriously no space on the floor in his apartment?  No space under the table, or anything?  I'd look up couch-surfing or something, man.  Maybe even camping or sleeping in the guy's car.  There's cheaper options out there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:14:14 am »

Just make sure the tour will be worth it, then go for it. I'd kill for something like that.
Magma is overrated.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:52 am »

There's seriously no space on the floor in his apartment?  No space under the table, or anything?  I'd look up couch-surfing or something, man.  Maybe even camping or sleeping in the guy's car.  There's cheaper options out there.
It's not impossible, but we're talking a really tight fit for a full week. This is LA County we're talking about, all space is at a premium. I'm certainly going to look more into it, but I don't know. That's also why I can't really sleep in a car, I'll be burnt to a crisp in LA by this point in the year.
Just make sure the tour will be worth it, then go for it. I'd kill for something like that.
Perhaps "tour" is the wrong word. It's more "friend's father is going to show us the inner workings of the company in person". Even better, he works in the rocketry division, which is where SpaceX has made its better accomplishments.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:16:47 am »

In the UK, in the summer, Universities will rent out dorm rooms for next to nothing as otherwise they would be sitting there empty. Does no equivalent thing operate in the US?
This is a blank sig.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:12 am »

If it was me, I'd find a way to make it happen.  It sounds like a once in a lifetime thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:31 am »

In the UK, in the summer, Universities will rent out dorm rooms for next to nothing as otherwise they would be sitting there empty. Does no equivalent thing operate in the US?
US universities still operate during the summer, in which they have two extremely compressed semesters. It's very hard work, so most students don't do it, but the option is available. This is how my father managed to get his Masters in only four years.
If it was me, I'd find a way to make it happen.  It sounds like a once in a lifetime thing.
I know. That's why I'm willing to spend every dime I have on this.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:17:18 pm »

I know--I spent the first six years of my life in a 400-square-foot house with my parents in LA County.  That's why I'd recommend the floor or something.  There is space if you're willing to get it--and perhaps you should, rather than spending all your savings.

Like, I guess this is the fundamental question you need to be able to answer... how much is your social and physical comfort over a week worth to you?  $500?  More?

However, obviously, I do think you should go.  I also think that you could get a bit more oomph for your money, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »

It's not a matter of absolute space, it is if my friend's father is going to tolerate yet another of his son's friends living in his apartment for a week.
No Gods, No Masters.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »

Just couchsurf, its the easiest solution. Or check hostelworld. I travelled 6 months in northamerica, from LA to NY, didnt spend anything on accomodation. I camped, was invited, used couchsurfing.org and warmshowers.org
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::