Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cities in Motion  (Read 9943 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: Cities in Motion
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 10:05:11 pm »

Man, this sucks.
I've wanted to play this game since I read the thing about it on RPS.
Now, when I try to play it, I get to look at the world for about three minutes, before my computer crashes completely. The screen is black, and I get no response from anything.
Man, that would be an evil piracy protection method.

send the report of the crash, thats the whole point of betas, so they fix it on the final release, and you can play :)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »

Interesting game. Takes a moment to understand, but after checking out a scenario, I have a better understanding of a decent setup. Weave patterns with the lines (with about 3 vehicles per line) work wonders for traffic and happiness. Helicopters are excellent with 4 stations and 2 or 3 choppers as well. Good way to keep everything working like clockwork. I would advise chopper-stations at train stations and ferries, or at least the corners of the city.

EDIT:
Just realized that a radiant star formation from the center of the city outward is the most effective/efficient.

Just transform the central zone into a mass-transit station.
-Choppers have 3 destinations mirroring from center, and extending to the corners. (total 6 stations assigned in bowtie fashion, 3 stops per side |>< | )
-Metros take up the X,Y (0,0) lines, and from those to the corners are trollies going around the perimeter.
-Busses will be dedicated to the 4-square pattern in their respective corner. You can optionally use 1 bus at a time with them moving in figure-8 patterns or 2 moving in a cloverleaf pattern in the corner areas. You can optionally mirror the metro setup, but you may need more busses per dedicated side.
-Ferries will obviously take on the water zones, usually used as an auxillary means of ferrying people along the river areas.

Overall, it should be cheap enough to produce, should yield a decent income, and if unfinished initially, can be constructed/continued swiftly. You can eventually beef up the quality to luxury if you can afford to to amp up usage. I would advise starting with metros and choppers and then trolies to unite them. 3 stops each method (5 for the metros if you want), no more, no less. Busses are a different matter. Go nuts with those.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:55:28 am by Itnetlolor »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 01:05:27 am »

@Deon - that happens to me too, after a few hours the game CTD. thats already posted by various people on the paradox forum.

I think they should either make the requests harder by giving a set amount of passengers transported needed to finish each request (very few does that) or forcing the line to operate for a year before handing over the cash. early on those requests are a life savers no brainers actions. i usually just build the cheapest bus stop and assign an existing line to go there then cancel it after i get the money, no risk just reward.

it seems that everybody can go on a chopper.. i have seen unemployed, pensioners and blue collars go on it. when you think of it, its usually just double the cost of a metro ride so people have it cheaper to go on it than going on a metro tram bus combination. thats not very realistic.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 04:02:07 am »

Yes, I thought about that too. Just add "tranport X passangers" and it balances that out.

thats not very realistic.
Yeah, a minimum payment in St. Petersburg to fly in a chopper for an hour is around 4000 roubles per 1 person (if it's a 20 person chopper). While a metro is 20 roubles. So it's a 200 times difference.

I am not sure if choppers are viable as a public transport. Are there real-world examples which work on a scale of a city?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

About to buy this game... just need to decide on Steam or Gamersgate.
Hopefully it is well modded and maybe they add some nice DLC...
20 bucks isn't bad for now, though.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 11:13:31 pm »

I don't like creating new thread so... Cities in Motion Collection (with all DLCs) for $12.49 on GMG, before 30% coupon:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/simulation/cities-motion-collection/

So is it any good for those who have played it?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:47 am »

If you like designing systems, making things as efficient as possible, then this is a great game. It's fun watching each and every person in the city walking or driving all over the place; if you've got several busy stations next to eachother you can see hundreds of little people swarming between the stations.

However, you're very much working within the structure of the city that you're given - virtually all of your systems are working on the road grid, and you can't tell the city to improve things for you (this is part of the reason why subways are so good - you can just go under all that crap, and don't have to worry about traffic.)

I've put 40 hours into it, and plan to put in more (I've still got more DLC missions to finish.)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 03:15:18 am »

Thanks Alstar, that is informative.

As I was browsing the let's play videos on YouTube I found out about Cities in Motion 2 that seems to be a full-blown improvement over the first game, except that you no longer have the timeline changes (1920 to 2020), but dynamic changes set in today's world. The timetable feature, longer hours (one day in game = 24 real life minutes) and larger map really sound great.

Damn, this makes me hesitant to buy the first one. >.>
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »

Bumping because CiM 2 has just been released on steam and i was wondering if anyone had the chance to try it yet as i am quite hesitant to buy it right now knowing it'll go the paradox way of having a 50% discount in a month or so. the new dynamic city is a VERY welcome improvement though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:58:33 pm by burningpet »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 01:45:58 pm »

I really hope they fixed busses, trams and boats so they are not terrible.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 03:54:04 am »

Haven't had the chance to play it, but heard people were not happy with not being able to mouse-scroll, generally clunky interface, and bad tutorial.

We'll see.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 05:19:54 am »

The interface feels a lot like transport tycoon, BUT you can't clear the screen by pressing space.
It's harder to route than in the first game, since there are no numbers over the stations.
But I like the addition of time tables: No longer will the buses drive off one right after the other.
The road construction is very powerful, but tram lines are equally un-powerful.

Bus depots and days mean that your vehicles will drive home to sleep at night, adding more depth and realism.

I have not played it long enough to see if traffic gets as bad as the first game, where buses and trams just made it worse.

An overall improvement of the first game, though the interface is a little clunky.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:55 am »

Tried a bit of CiM2, haven't done much with it but I'm not impressed, it just doesn't feel that engrossing, it lacks, I dunno the elegance of Cities in Motion 1, I mean I definitely have to experiment more with it but eh I'm not really intrigued thus far. Then again I think they were going for more of a game that goes with Cities in Motion 1 instead of outright being a sequel. (Cities in Motion 1 being more of a "History of Public transportation" and managing a transport company as the vehicles available to you evolve through time, while Cim2 seems to be more of a modern centric game)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:53 am »

Tried a bit of CiM2, haven't done much with it but I'm not impressed, it just doesn't feel that engrossing, it lacks, I dunno the elegance of Cities in Motion 1, I mean I definitely have to experiment more with it but eh I'm not really intrigued thus far. Then again I think they were going for more of a game that goes with Cities in Motion 1 instead of outright being a sequel. (Cities in Motion 1 being more of a "History of Public transportation" and managing a transport company as the vehicles available to you evolve through time, while Cim2 seems to be more of a modern centric game)

Give it time. Cities in Motion 1 took a long time to get into the shape it's in. The developers work pretty openly with the community to fix things. They're very responsive on the Paradox Forums. They're already adding scroll support and a bunch of other stuff.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 2 [3]