Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waste and sewers!  (Read 995 times)

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waste and sewers!
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:43:40 pm »

I'm thinking more along the lines of industrial waste. From smelters, soil run off from too much tree cutting, tanner waste water, soap making, hospital waste, all your corpses floating downstream and paper making polluting rivers etc. Basicly what I am saying is even though poop is out I still feel there is a need to construct sewers. Other than the world gen ones which seem to serve no purpose at the moment.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waste and sewers!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:04:22 pm »

poop is out? that sucks, I voted for that. I guess it's childish anyway

It's enough of a headache to coordinate your mining and floors especially when you want to create magma/water traps or irrigation or wells and dirty products of industry would just make it worse.

on the other hand, it makes perfect sense and having a garbage place filled with rats, corpses and refuse deep in your fortress somewhere that you can drop enemies onto and watch them live in that festering disgusting hole is very interesting. You can already do that with the stockpile but it's not the same.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »

As an equivalent, I've considered, but haven't yet tried, digging a gutter in the side of a road (read: hallway) and designating it as a dump. It would also act as a !!FUN!! generator.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:53 pm »

Why would it be childish? It would just add an extra piece of logistics you need to plan for. It would add to the realism of the game if you need chamber pots to be hauled away to the refuse dump every once in a while (sewers are not exactly nessesary, though they would be more efficient). And the possible industries bodily excretions could be used in include alchemy, tanning, farming and a few others.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:56:57 pm »

Toady has stated. In no uncertain terms, that defecation is not going to be included. That being said, industial waste hasn't been touched on, to my knowledge.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:28:58 am »

Why would it be childish? It would just add an extra piece of logistics you need to plan for. It would add to the realism of the game if you need chamber pots to be hauled away to the refuse dump every once in a while (sewers are not exactly nessesary, though they would be more efficient). And the possible industries bodily excretions could be used in include alchemy, tanning, farming and a few others.
I can understand the farming but tanning?

the only use I could see for poop was covering elves and goblins in it

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:11:05 am »

I can understand the farming but tanning?

the only use I could see for poop was covering elves and goblins in it

I'm talking about urine when it comes to tanning. Not faeces.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:09 am »

i support this idea, but i think squalor and sewage should only be of concern after a certain population cap (at least 100). As a FUNner add-on to the idea, i think sewer crocodiles, sewer giant toads, sewer giant olms, sewer forgotten beasts, and the occasional devious goblin plot to sneak in through the sewers; should also be implemented.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:04 am »

On the contrary, not being able to deal with the facts of life, like poop, is childish.

Toady has stated. In no uncertain terms, that defecation is not going to be included. That being said, industial waste hasn't been touched on, to my knowledge.

Unless further statements have been made, all Toady has said is that he didn't want to deal with a potential shitstorm in the media about faeces; DF shouldn't be known as "the game with poop". So he's not against it intrinsically, but it won't be added until the game is developed enough that it will be a background issue or the majority of people on the web behave like grown adults. Don't count on the latter.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:13:39 am by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »

Yea invasions through the sewers is another good reason to have them. As for population I think it's more about how intense your industry is rather than how many dwarfs you have.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:17 am »

I just finished reading all 17 pages of the original thread for feces and urine http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25070.0

For me this falls under the same heading as ventalation shafts and underground lighting.  The 'just assume it's already there' heading.

The wiki has a joke about how you only need to wet the stone floor once in order to grow food forever.  What most peple don't realize is that dwarfs grow fungus for food and fungus grows on decay.  That mud, that's not mud.  The muddy water that the dwarves get bad thoughts from drinking it's not from the water being silty.  It's from the water being filthy!  The reason you don't need to wet the ground ever again once a farm has been set up is because the dwarves are using that area as a latrine.

If you want to have sewers filled with brown water just engrave the floor.  There now you have everything.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:58:39 pm »

You are missing the whole point of the post. The suggestion wasn't even for feces and urine.
The idea wasn't to have brown water it was to have pollution that needs to be moved away killing fish and damaging land it is dumped on.
The only current pollution we have is miasma and it has little effect on anything.
As far as fire and lighting is concerned there is an arc planned for it.