Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recycling parts  (Read 537 times)

rainpeltstar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:geniosity]
    • View Profile
Recycling parts
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:45 pm »

This is just an idea, and it's probably been done before, but what if body parts/corpses were dropped from a great height (Like 20 z-levels) onto the heads of intruders during a raid? I have yet to experiment with this, but I think it would be very effective.
Loves lapis lazuli, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cheese puffs. She absolutely detests heights.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recycling parts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:31 pm »

you can already do this by linking a route and minecart stopping body parts over the fort's entrance at just the right time when you're under siege. But i dont think this is an effective type of defense since there'll be a million hauling jobs after.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:11:25 pm »

I agree with the above. Altough doing it just for ˇˇFun!! is ok. Another option to drop them would include a retractable bridge.

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:31 am »

I like to drop my refuse and corpses on pitted enemies. Not only do they get beat up by falling dead things but the also have tp put up with miasma.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 04:16:08 am »

You guys are thinking too small!

The best way to recycle parts is to create a pit with controllable necromancer LOS. Then you drop all of your parts into there along with any enemies. Viola! Much more dwarfy then simply dropping them. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:02:58 am »

Do items actually accelerate when falling? I was under the impression that creatures accelerate, but items fall at a fixed speed. Thus, dropping an anvil from a 20z-high tower on someone sitting 120z below the surface would do the same damage as one dumped from a hatch directly over their head (and a cavy skull totem would be almost as deadly), it would just take longer to arrive. I had great success dumping a hundred unwanted totems on the dwarf caravan from a hatch directly above the depot: three dead traders, several others maimed. And the caravan instantly packed up and left. Hooray!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:06:45 am »

Do items actually accelerate when falling? I was under the impression that creatures accelerate, but items fall at a fixed speed. Thus, dropping an anvil from a 20z-high tower on someone sitting 120z below the surface would do the same damage as one dumped from a hatch directly over their head (and a cavy skull totem would be almost as deadly), it would just take longer to arrive. I had great success dumping a hundred unwanted totems on the dwarf caravan from a hatch directly above the depot: three dead traders, several others maimed. And the caravan instantly packed up and left. Hooray!

Well, at least you weaponized skull totems. Now do the same with lead crafts

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:16:14 am »

Do items actually accelerate when falling? I was under the impression that creatures accelerate, but items fall at a fixed speed. Thus, dropping an anvil from a 20z-high tower on someone sitting 120z below the surface would do the same damage as one dumped from a hatch directly over their head (and a cavy skull totem would be almost as deadly), it would just take longer to arrive.
Items do fall at fixed speed, but you went back to applying real-world physics after acknowledging it's not applicable to dwarven physics. Judging from 'test subjects' falling at various heights, how far objects fall DOES influence how hard they hit what they fall on. Sure it'll hit at the same fixed speed, but the physics doesn't care about fall speed when calculating damage.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.