Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Ragnar: Genesis Reborn 5.21  (Read 1965 times)

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Chronicles of Ragnar: Genesis Reborn 5.21
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:41:53 am »

I wasn't going to share but then I thought "what the hell?" So here I present...The Chronicles of Ragnar, Nord of the Frozen North!
I am using Genesis Reborn by Deon.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109846.0

Now lets begin.
I have stopped using Demi-God since halfway through last year for my adventurers and have been using Hero. After Deon said that I should try out his mod for Adventurer Mode if I enjoyed it so much, I downlaoded the latest version and made my adventurer.

Ragnar began his humble adventuring career by pesterng one particular person about what quests he could accomplish for the greater good. Now, Ragnar was positioned on a land known to the people as "The Frozen Lands", which was positioned in the upper left hand side of the world. It was estimated, at least in the Nordic Calender, that the year was 1,050 N.R.
After he vanquished a terrible vampire, removed several demon-loving traitors, and almost falling into the cold, icy enbrace of a succubi, Ragnar arrived at a fort on his way to the next village. Here it was he met the lady consort Lastu Murha, whom he related tales of his daring do while the artificers positioned his newly acquired suit of iron chainmail on him. In a bout of what some may have called daring, he suggested the lady consort travel with him and his companions - the Doctor and the Guardsman (the Doctor, aptly named as he was one, was thouht to be able to cure what ails Ragnar despite the fact that the limitations of the engine were well-known to him) and the Guardsman, who had watched in awe as the Woodworker - a former companion of Ragnars - had suffocated to death over a simple middle spine bruise.
And this is where I leave you, dear readers, for I now must adventure to create more stories for you!

Ragnar had heard of stories regarding a succubi called "Dawnedpracticles" who was terrorizing various towns and hamlets. Ragnar and his trusty band of companions searched through many houses, finding bags filled with what the owners called "medicinal dandelions". Eventually Ragnar found and confronted the succubi, killer of Arpi Hushedrifts.
The battle was joined by concerned members of the hamlet, who had formed an improptu militia to aid the hero in his quest against evil. They swarmed the evil creature, using whatever was at their disposal to harm it. It was Ragnar who dealt the killing blow - a mighty Nordic headbutt to the creatures head - tearing the brain through its own skull. And without wearing a helmet too!

Yet it was time for Ragnar to report his success and move on, which he did. People started calling him "Roaststrikes" - a name which was only hinted at before he became a hero.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:58:53 am by Big_James_B »
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

burchalka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Ragnar: Genesis Reborn 5.21
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:28 am »

Cool story so far. But now I expect that this brave soul will utilize only his head to kill his opponents.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Ragnar: Genesis Reborn 5.21
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:03:52 am »

Unfortunately he died attempting to investigate a tomb. A moose herd tore away all my other companions so it was just a single guardsman and I. I'll novelize the ending.

Ragnar had fought one too many creatures of the night and had caught the eye of one of the lords of the realm - to which Ragnar found out that they did not live on a island far from the mainland, but a rolling tundra of flat plains spread out as far as th eye can see.
But Ragnar did not approach the lord like he was told, instead he decided to investigate the tomb of his ancestors for you see the land he was born was littered with almost forgotten tombs, rife not only with treasure but with history. Ragnar wanted to learn this history, to honour his ancestors as his father had taught him. He did not heed the peoples warnings about the tombs and set off with a bunch of companions to assist him - possibly without the idea of learning his history.
When his companions found out what he was going to do - Herr Doctor, the Consort and the Guardsmen they did not approve. The Doctor and the Consort parted ways with Ragnar while the Guardsman stayed out of duty. His other companions used themselves to fend off the mutant, rabid moose herds that threatened their approach, so it was just Ragnar and the Guardsmanentering the dusty confines of the smallest pyramid. What they found they did not expect.

The onyx slab in the main hall had warned the pair of curses and wrath, but Ragnar ignored the ancient Nordic words. His companion turned towards a stairwell and went off to investigate while Ragnar turned to a single doorway and entered. Into the tomb of hell itself. Skeletons of various creatures lay scattered around the room and a lone coffin stood on a raised dias. Approaching the dias, Ragnar jumped back when it rose and opened, revealing...[check for sanity; D20/D100].
Ragnar was cursed and stumbled backwards, swinging his trust iron seax. He was not fast enough. The first blow sent him on his back and he did not see what happened after the second.

In the words of a famous narator. "Thus ends the bard's tale..."

But dear readers, this does not pose a stop to the Chronicles! For poor Ragnar is just the first story of many that you may hear. Pull up a chair, grab a mug of mead, stay awhile and listen!
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Ragnar: Rike's Story
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:11:56 am »

Our next story begins in a Hamlet not too far from the place where Ragnar met his unfortunate end. In the humble hamlet of Flierclustered lived a maiden called Rike. Now Rike wasn't just an ordinary maiden, she was destined for great things - for if she choose the right path, if she choose the right companions, and if her player did not kill her off by foolishly searching the tombs or dark towers found throguhout the land too early, she would become a great champion of justice.

She gathered her gear and inquired as to how she may help her society. The men of the hamlet looked at her curiosuly as she asked, but they told her what she wanted to know. There was a creature of the night within their own midst and nobody was brave enough to fight them. As Rike headed in the drection of the creatures cottage the people of the hamlet slowly shook their heads, cursing her foolishness.

Many had thought the young Rike foolish for taking her fight directly to the forces of evil, and many of the townsfolk had heard of her success. People began to wonder if she were indeed a champion of good and justliness. Her next quest set her towards the wilds south of town where she cae upon a camp. Her only companion was Kunnioita Ruusu, a Ranger from the hamlet and her first and foremost friend.
They approached the camp with as much stealth as an elephant trying to sneak. War cries were sounded and Ruusu cursed their approach - there were no hills or suitable cover to avoid the incoming bolts. Rike waited behind a tree, waiting for someone to rush past. When someone did she faltered with her sword thrust. That was her mistake. Her opponent cut her left arm enough to make her bleed, and thats when Rike panicked. She stumbled away from the swordsman, throwing a wild swing that severed the ligament of the swordsman's foot - a wound that would surely persist to haunt the swordsman. Rike then turned and ran, glancing back as her childhood friend was executed. She had not even been given a time to react. Rike saw the group of outlaws and saw that she would not survive a direct fight with them and ran. She swore that she would avenge her friend Ruusu as long as she drew breath.

Perhaps Rike was a bit too foolish as she stopped and turned after running a distance and saw that her only opponent was her friends killer. Rage burning in her eyes, she began to swing with all her might. Tendons were torn and wounds were inflicted on both sides but it was the spearman who bested her, not only damaging her motor nerves in one arm but also in the other. Rike fled back to the hamlet and sunk into melancholy. Unbeknownst to her, an artery had been damaged in her arm. She retired in shame, despite the others applauding her actions as good and just.

Perhaps we shall return to this tale at a later date, but gentle reader it is not entirely over...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:29:51 pm by Big_James_B »

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Ragnar: The Death of Kypsakahmi
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »

Ok so I got some sleep and had some time to think before charging headlong into another death...uh, I mean story...

Our next story, dear reader, focuses on yet another Nord from the Frozen North. His parents were scholars, and called their only son by an archaic name "Kypsakahmi" (seriously; this name was from hitting random several times!). He was a simple man, who had more of an interest in the martial arts rather than academia- which for a Nord was actually considered "normal". He stumbled upon a particularly horrible discovery as he was traveling one day in a nearby hamlet; a Demoniac. He raised a rag-tag group of peasants into a militia, and they stormed the creatures house and killed it. It is from this act of courage that Kyp received great acclaim. He was then given the task to kill the dreaded Boss Boltstabbed - the leader of an outlaw group living just south of the hamlet he was born. Yes dear reader, these are the same bandits that assailed Rike and crippled her, and they had quite a reputation. Kyp had heard of poor Rike and her companion stumbling upon their camp and being set upon almost immediately.
But Kyp never made it to the camp on his first attempt.

He had just recruited a few guardsmen at the fortress known as "Snakepants" when a group claiming to have been from "The Faith of Jades" ambushed Kyp and his companions in the wilderness just within sight of the fortress; but too far out to marshal suitable reinforcements in time. He was surrounded on all sides and things looked grim for the young Nord. He tried to flee, but there was no opening and he was cut down by a hail of arrows and bolts, a swordsman walking over and stabbing his head with his cobalt sword just to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:30:24 pm by Big_James_B »

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Ragnar: The Adventures of Koynnos
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »

The amount of times I've died shows how rusty I am at this. At least I'm spinning a few key presses into semi-decent "stories". Ok, lets try again...oh and I'll apologise for the amount of additional posts I make without a space between them from other people.

Koynnos; an ancient and forgotten Nordic name of great honour. This is our next protagonist, dear reader, and we visit the Frozen North again.
Koynnos was a simple lieutenant within the ranks of the guardsmen stationed in the small hamlet of "Dinevigor". He was destined for great things IF he survived (and I stress that; Nords seem to not last long away from their homes). His superiors called for him and ordered him on a quest to find out if the rumours of banditry in the Sothern hamlets were true - for there was no bandits or outlaws in the Northern region. You see, the Dreaded Boss Boltstabbed had made a name for himself killing innocents and heroes of all types, with only a hardy Nord woman being able to flee from his hands. Koynnos could not refuse this quest, and his old companion Ika Pidamuovaa stepped forward to help him, as well as a fresh-faced recruit called Lahde (I'm sure its pronounced Laddie). They first set off for the remote hamlet of Clashescuffed to determine if the recent events were true; rumours were that a succubi was living amongst the villagers and had made them fearful of leaving their houses at night.
During his investigation, Koynnos and his companions stumbled upon a Lamia - a dreaded creature of the night - who had infiltrated the hamlet and had been murdering innocent people. Despite the fabled agility of the Lamia, she was no match for Koynnos, who deftly beheaded the foul creature. Although this was not his intended objective, the young warrior had saved many lives in his discovery of the creature. And by killing the Lamia, the Succubus was drawn out of hiding. It seems that the two creatures were working together but it did not help the Succubus, who was killed by Ika in a heated melee.
The townsfolk thanked Koynnos and his companions, directing them to another town that had rumoured trouble. Thankfully this hamlet was but a few short miles away.

Koynnos and his companions travelled through the Northern region, finding little more than the odd creature of the night. They did not find any trace of bandits or outlaws, and many villagers pressed about this told of outlaws dwelling in the Southern region; away from civilization. Koynnos knew that he had to gather a host of guardsmen if he ever stood a chance to kill these outlaws.

Koynnos and his squad charged towards the camp of Boss Boltstabbed, but this charge met with heavy resistance. The outlaws were better equipped than the guardsmen had first thought, and their skill was exceptional. Ika told Koynnos to flee, but he refused at first. When Ika fell, he turned and fought his way out of the battle and made it back to the hamlet bruised and battered. The nearest Fortress was the Library-Sanctuary of Ticksear - who were rumoured to have extremely draconian entry rules. Despite these rules they allowed Koynnos to enter - his efforts having begun to spread through both regions of the Frozen North.
Within the Hallowed Halls of the Library, Koynnos poured through several books. Most were filled with mundane knowledge about the Library Ticksear or its creator - the Good Green Dragon Loli Birdscrow. In a dusty corner our protagonist found a small, green-leather clad book. He opened it to reveal knowledge that had been common through an ancient sect of ancient Nordic Folk - Koynnos had found a tome dedicated to the ancient Druidic Order of the Tree. Through the teachings of the book, Koynnos learnt many things and he hoped that the teachings could help him get revenge on the Dreaded Boss Boltstabbed - for his quest had now turned personal when his old friend Ika had been killed at the hands of the outlaw group.
What Koynnos had not expected to meet the creator of the Library-Fortress, nor did he intend to meet the author of the books either but when he stepped into the main chamber of the Library he met him.

When he was at the Library Koynnos heard rumours of something brewing in the Northern Region. Koynnos turned away from his revenge for the time being and travelled back, intent on finding out what these rumours were about. Little did he know what he was getting himself into...

(so I found my first couple of books, met my first deity-dragon and pretty much have kept this guy alive so far.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:45:12 pm by Big_James_B »

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:30:17 am »

When we last left our protagonist he was pouring through the tomes located at the Library-Fortress of Ticksear, tending his wounds. From the spare guardsmen there he recruited a small group and travelled north, to a secluded and mostly abandoned town called "Primlovely". The town did not resemble its former glory, and most of its beautiful houses lay in disrepair. There was no explanation that Koynnos knew to explain why the town was so deserted - but there was certain it was due to foul magics.
Empowered by his new-found druidic abilities, Koynnos adventured to the government house and was directed to an old dungeon located beneath the building. The young child who directed Koynnos to the entrance was one of the few who did not have a flashing blue background - and Koynnos knew from experience that strangers with blue backgrounds were trouble.
He delved into the dungeon and found newly forged weapons and armour littered around; he himself trading his copper shield and sword for an iron shield and sword. The rumours that had brought Koynnos here told of a powerful group of outlaws who were using the Dungeon and the Town's sewer system to harass the North - but then again that was just heresay. Perhaps these outlaws were just hiding. Koynnos came across a lone scout and silenced him relatively quickly, but he had managed to raise an alarm for when our protagonist and his companions entered one of the dungeons many treasure vaults there stood one of his opponents, surrounded by no more than five companions. They at once set about each other - both groups charging headlong into battle. By the time the dust had settled only two of Koynnos' companions had survived and the outlaws lay dead or dying. Koynnos knew at once that after this battle he was ready to get his revenge on Boss Boltstabbed, but first he would need to gather more companions.

On his way out of the dungeon Koynnos came upon a lone figure, dressed in old fashions and carrying an iron broadsword. Koynnos knew at once that this was none other than Peitto Chewtorch the Cross of Shoving - a Master Swordsman. Although there lay no hope for a mere adept to best a master this was not true. Koynnos ducked wand weaved through the flurry of blows that flew in his direction and struck only one blow - a neck severing strike that put an end to the Master swordsman. Koynnos was fatigued from the fighting he had done that day, but he could swear he heard a "thank you.." pass through one of the numerous wind holes of the dungeon. He left the dungeon and made his way back to Ticksear and recruited a large group of guardsmen to assist him in the elimination of Boss Boltstabbed. It took some convincing but soon the guardsmen followed him as they marched towards the camp.

Boltstabbed had not expected an attack this soon after his latest victory, and had been dealt a blow in the last attack when he lost a few critical men. Koynnos charged, followed by his band. They smashed into the group of outlaws and it soon turned into a bloodbath. In the end it was not Koynnos who killed Boltsabbed, but it was a relief to finally get revenge even if he did not strike the last blow.
Before slaying one of the remaining outlaws, he gave away the position of another camp with another group of outlaws led by a man known only as "Hairseas". Knowing that this group was in league with Boltstabbed, Koynnos ordered the group to move on and they headed into the direction of Hairseas camp.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »

Koynnos had many adventures after settling the bandit threat in the Southern Region Koynnos received a request to attend a meeting with Hyvantekevaisyys Laki - the Lady Jarl of the Frozen North. The trek was arduous and involved trekking across the flat plains that composed the unsettled regions of the Frozen North. Why the Lady Jarl had chosen to place her Castle within the middle of nowhere was left to those who came before her.

The Lady Jarl was pleased to meet Koynnos and his companions. She acknowledged the acts of heroism that Koynnos had preformed in his taming of the Sothern Region, but this was not why she called him here. She took him aside and told him of a creature who had stalked the plains to the south; a creature that had killed many that were wandering the plains. It was for this reason why people had never settled in the lands between the Nordic lands and the Castle. If Koynnos could venture into the creatures cavern lair, and kill the creature then the area would be deemed safe enough to settle. Koynnos agreed and set off almost immediately with his companions towards the lair of Cyclops beast.

The Cyclops was not an easy foe for Koynnos, but it wasn't a hard foe either. With a group the size of Koynnos's the Cyclops proved to be an easy foe - and it was one of Koynnos's companions that dealt the killing blow. They returned to the Lady Jarl to much praise and feasting.
The Lady Jarl gave our protagonist another quest. This one was to travel to the Library-Fort of Tickser and to slay the Green Dragon who dwelt there, for he was an ancient enemy recorded in the early history of the Nordic people.
Koynnos was surprised by this request, for he had made a firm friendship with the Dragon-Lord of Ticksear and he was at a loss of what to do. Does he do what his liege wants him to do and kill his friend? Or does he ignore the request? If he does ignore it, disastrous results may occur...