Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Truetype font too small!  (Read 1140 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
Truetype font too small!
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:53:11 am »

Greetings!

I poked around a bit looking for this answer without luck, so I'll ask: Is there a way to control the SIZE of a TrueType font in DF 34_11? I can turn it on and off, switch fonts around, etc., but it always seems to display VERY small. I ain't getting any younger, and the last thing I need is for text to get SMALLER on my monitor. I really like the idea of using a TTF in addition to a custom tileset, but if it only displays teeny-tiny that won't help me at all.

Rochndil, who needs bifocals...or lasers.
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Truetype font too small!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:57:01 am »

Yes, you can. You have to get a font editor, open the .ttf file and change the size in there. At least thats how I did it for my custom font I use. I couldnt find any other way. I know it gets bigger and smaller when you zoom in and out of the game, but so does everything else then.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:00 am »

Thanks! I'll give that a spin. The last thing I need is for text to get SMALLER on me...I can barely read half of what's on my screen as it is.

Rochndil, off to find a font editor...

Yes, you can. You have to get a font editor, open the .ttf file and change the size in there. At least thats how I did it for my custom font I use. I couldnt find any other way. I know it gets bigger and smaller when you zoom in and out of the game, but so does everything else then.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:17 am »

It menaces with spikes of awesome!

Just doing a quick proof-of-concept, and the metrics are all wonky, but it definitely WORKS. Now I just need to decide if I want a regular monospaced font, or if I want to make a pretty one. That may take some thought, since I could spend a week or more just creating and refining a custom font, and that's a lot of modding/testing time lost/invested in just a font. BUT, it would also free up even more tiles in my tileset, providing new and interesting possibilities.

Rochndil, pondering possibilities...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:01 am »

Freeing tiles? That wont work, not all text is using TTF.

You also need to make sure you have some special glyphs, for venus/mars, weight, superior/masterwork quality... You can copy the ones from the original included ttf, or have a look at the one I include in my mod.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »

Don't worry, I'm aware of the potential issues and trade-offs involved in changing characters. So far, it looks like I can repurpose (or dedicated-purpose) the following tiles, if using a TTF: [].,;:`"'

I've already got modified tiles for all these in my custom-assembled tileset, but if they're NOT needed for text use anymore (which seems to be true in initial testing), I can either replace them entirely, or customize them for the specific roles they play that CANNOT be changed by modifying the RAWs. I can also (potentially) fix some compromises like the 0 for coffins and X for bins. Obviously, all this is conjectural at this point, but the potential improvement is quite exciting. I also need to make sure there are functional characters in my future TTF for #11 and #12, which (in the test font I grabbed) are not supported currently, and ARE definitely used in TTF text lists (kitchen, stocks).

Obviously there's a lot of investigation to do on my part, and I know I'm rather late to the game (TTF is what, 14 months old now?), but I'm just finally returned to DF modding after an extended RL-induced hiatus, so it's new and exciting to ME. :)

Rochndil, who has new notes now attached to his stack of old DF-modding notes...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »

Ähm... there is a ttf bug that gets worse the longer you play, with blackened out spaces... and like I said, you still need the normal text from the tilesets, because not all text ingame is using TTF.