Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My girlfriend is severely bipolar and has ULTRA multiple personality syndrome  (Read 3963 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

I've been with her for about a year and a quarter, and she's getting worse. She refuses to go on medication despite my pleas, and I don't know how to help her when she's having one of her manic episodes. Any ideas friends?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leave her (gently, but leave no room for doubt or misinterpretation).  It is not your job nor duty to fix her, nor is it within your capabilities, no matter how much you might think you can or should.  It sounds like she doesn't even want to be healed, if she's not willing to at least try the medication before making an informed decision to refuse it.  Voice of experience here (both the being crazy, and the hooking up with crazy): an unhealthy person cannot bring anything healthy to a relationship.

If she can find it within herself to get herself healthy, with or without professional help, you could give it another chance after that.  For now, the best thing you can do for either one of you is end any romantic entanglement you have with her.  It sounds cruel, but the brain usually does when the heart doesn't want to listen to it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Honestly, I have been trying to work up the courage, but her family adores me and basically expects me to marry her soon, but i'm only 22! Also, last time I almost broke it off, she just nearly killed herself! I feel trapped sometimes and it's hard getting to sleep at night.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You cannot take responsibility for her mental health.  You have no control over it.  If she kills herself, it's a tragedy, but it's not your fault.  Do not put your own sanity at risk remaining in a dysfunctional and poisonous relationship.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought your girlfriend died and her severed head was subsequently sent to you in the mail? Or is this a different girlfriend?

To others; I'm not trolling, he really did say that at one point in the past.

On a side note, I am good friends with a person who has Multiple Personality Disorder (more currently called Dissociative Identity Disorder), and it does not make her crazy. If you are telling the truth, then I imagine that you may well have misidentified her condition. How many alters does she have? Is your girlfriend the host, or a different alter? How do the other alters feel about her?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:58:54 pm by Kryptid »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Either that or his girlfriend is just a terrible person who justifies her actions with her condition.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe the poster is the girlfriend.  I might have just advised him/her to break up with itself.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe the poster is the girlfriend.  I might have just advised him/her to break up with itself.

Or the Poster may be the Boyfriend, Girlfriend, AND the other girlfriend.

She does suffer from ULTRA multiple personality syndrome.

Which is much worse then normal multiple personality by a factor of ultra!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you tried talking to her family? When my girlfriend has (admittedly a lot less severe) head-issues, I let her mother take the wheel and it has worked splendidly.

One of my friends had a lot more similar problem, and he did pretty much what weenog here is advicing. In the end it worked pretty well, he got more focused with his life, she got institutionalized, de-institutionalized, and her life back on rails.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you marry her, and have children, there might be a chance that the disorder passes on to your kids too. And that would suck.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Sounds like it might be ultimatum time.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought your girlfriend died and her severed head was subsequently sent to you in the mail? Or is this a different girlfriend?

To others; I'm not trolling, he really did say that at one point in the past.

That sounds vaguely familiar.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Ah, Pathos. We meet again.