Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Punching through the SMR  (Read 758 times)

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Punching through the SMR
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:09:28 am »

I want to punch a 4x4 hole through the semimolten rock.

I'm okay with using any method.  I would like to do it without hacking any memory locations but if that is the only way then so be it.

This is my last project for my original fortress, back in v0.31.25.  I want to build a central staircase made out of cast obsidian 2x2 wide with cast obsidian walls all the way from the Core to the surface.

I am able to completely drain the magma sea using the flood method (I discovered this on my own by accident).  I am able to cast obsidian sideways (in practice up to four squares away from the central shaft).  I have tried both 'ramp from below' and 'ramp from above' methods.  Both methods require that the square to be removed be unrevealed.

I can punch shafts all the way through like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWW
W W WW
WWWWWW
W WW W
WWWWWW
WWWWWW

And then fill them back in with obsidian like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWW
WOWOWW
WWWWWW
WOWWOW
WWWWWW
WWWWWW

But when I use dfhack to unreveal the SMR (in order to punch new shafts) that tool does not unreveal the SMR.

Any help or ideas would be very welcome.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Punching through the SMR
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:09:09 am »

pretty sure i recall someone doing this successfully before. have you done any searches?

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:22:08 am »

Yes, I found nothing.  I only found ways to punch a 1x1 square shaft through the SMR.

My search foo may not be strong enough.  If you can find the post you remember please post a link.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14:04 am »

I would try the tiletypes plugin in dfhack. you should be able to change the tiles to open space or to a dig-able rock type or even right into obsidian stairs and walls I think.

The other thread only was about 1 tile shafts like yours.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:18:08 am »

google gives me:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Semi-molten_rock (scroll down past the spoiler warning)
leading to:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108189.0

Edit: nevermind, missed the post where he said that he only found 1x1 rather than 4x4
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:30:58 am by vanatteveldt »

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:27 pm »

I would try the tiletypes plugin in dfhack. you should be able to change the tiles to open space or to a dig-able rock type or even right into obsidian stairs and walls I think.

I'm currently four levels into the SMR!  This method works like a charm.  There is a slight bug in the old 0.5.15 version of dftiletypes.exe which crashed my game, but only if I tried to place obsidian in already revealed space.  It probably had something to do with the 'paint hidden 0' command not working.  Since I had set things up initially for the 1x1 bore hole method all of the SMR was still in its' default unrevealed state.  Placing (or painting) hidden obsidian walls had to be done blind but that was not overly difficult.

I only placed obsidian on SMR squares.  Some of those where SMR floors with magma.  Interestingly, the magma would remain 'on top of' the newly placed obsidian wall.  When I'd channel out the square it would become a ramp with 7/7 magma, which I'd deal with in the normal manner either by draining the magma away or by using water to turn it into obsidian.  Also, if I channeled out an adjacent square the magma 'on top of' the obsidian wall the magma would drain out of that square leaving the wall with 1/7 magma which would dry out to 0/7 as normal.

Alas, no dwarfs martyred themselves punching this new 4x4 stair column through,  Two miners did almost starved to death when flowing magma cut off their only path back to the surface.  The magma dried out in time for them to reach food before they died.