Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Live combat updates  (Read 1034 times)

uscere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Live combat updates
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:57:08 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I love reading the combat logs as they're happening.  However, during sieges or circus time, it gets a little tedious to keep going back into the reports section, reading the most recent event, then going back to stepping through combat.  I dug around to see if someone had made an external viewer for the reports screen (or if it was possible to unpause while at the combat reports screen) but had no luck.

Then, I found out that all the announcements are saved to the game log.  Soooo enter this utility I found: http://snakenest.com/snaketail/

The *nix inclined among you will notice that it's basically a fancy implementation of tail for Windows.  Also, it supports regex color coding, so with a little tweaking you can make the colors mirror those that are in the reports screen!  Anyway, this is now an essential that I run with DF, along with DwarfTherapist, and figured I'd throw it out here in case anyone else was interested.

Urist McDruid

• Bay Watcher
  • Never underestimate the power of the Scout's Code
    • View Profile
Re: Live combat updates
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:18:04 am »

Seems interesting, and i might give this a try. Does it cause FPS drops when running?

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:04 am »

I will definatly look at this tommorow. Concept is wonderfull.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Deep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:56 am »

cool beans, would be a nice feature

comham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:35 am »

Bumping this, because I spent a while searching for something that does this, and I found it very useful.

Could you share your settings for those colour coding settings?

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »

It even has a portable version, no need to install. Love it.

If you have any ideas for settings on the colors, I would love to see them too. I will give it as shot as well.

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:19:04 pm »

Is there any simple way to put lines or more blank space between the individual reports, either in game or with a utility. Sometimes during large battles it kind gets confusing.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:53:16 am »

Is there any simple way to put lines or more blank space between the individual reports, either in game or with a utility. Sometimes during large battles it kind gets confusing.

I've forgotten most of my geekdom, but I'm sure there's some way you could use a batch file to feed each new line from the original text through a line editor (like edlin.exe), which places a line break after each hard return, then either appends it to a new text file for Tail to read, or sends it straight to Tail.
Simple for some, not so, for others.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.