Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf cage  (Read 1541 times)

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf cage
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »

After I ordered the cages to be 'built' they ended up dying when placed. I don't have any idea what happened.
Immediately on placement, you mean?  Not sure.  But dwarves will starve in built cages.  Are unbuilt cages capable of starving dwarves but not to death, that happening as soon as they are built?

...if they get knocked out the get stasisified by the cage traps.  Would this work to save dwarves?
Possibly, but with only one cage trap allowed per tile you might find them being knocked out and the attack continuing because they fell on an already triggered trap-square.  (Though if they phase in and out with the enemy distracted they might crawl a bit and get further chances of being trapped.)

If bleeding out mortally, or semi-mortally, they may still die, of course, while you cannot yet get around to retrieving the trap, building it somewhere near the hospital and releasing them so they can get there in time (under their own power or through assistance).  And if sealclubber's deal is more serious than I first considered then it may speed their demise.

Science.  That's what you need!

Man oh man I totally gotta try this again.
Setup a burrow and lock in a couple of unsuspecting stunties in a room filled with cage traps. Brilliance abounds.

I'll do some testing later.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 06:54:06 pm »

If this works, I know what to do with my useless immigrants. Five legendary cheese makers my ass! You're goin' in the damned hole!
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:19 am »

Well then.

I locked a bunch of my cutest little milkers into the dunce corner and locked the door and waited for them to fall asleep. I got impatient. I followed OP's lead and tried to do a cave-in on their wee little heads to make them fall into a stunned state but uh... yea they turned out to be made out of jelly and they all died. I sure hope they are ok.

Oh well, any dwarf that can't survive a cave-in of a couple tons of stone has no place in my fortress.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:26 am »

I was thinking at one point, fighting powerfull trap immune creatures in a hallway filled with cage traps would be good, as if they get knocked out the get stasisified by the cage traps.  Would this work to save dwarves?

This happened to me once. A Fb atacked by surprise a miner in a cage trap corridor. The dwarf ended lighly wounded and trapped in a cage instead of dying, and was rescued later by the military.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability
Pages: 1 [2]