Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary migrants  (Read 1226 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary migrants
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:59:59 pm »

I just played a second fort in a world where I abandoned before for the first time. I had abandoned because of boredom and a little accident that flooded most of the fort... there were still 120 dwarves left, though.
Now I got those as immigrants: A few legendary soldiers, legendary miners, a grand master weaponsmith and a few talented masons. It seems a little exploity, but also awesome. The old fort was nothing special, but there were a some dorfs with legendary awesomeness and it's great to see those characters again. Even the old mayor came around. He was a hammerlord and also captain of the guard - judge, jury and executioner in one. Just imagine Judge Dredd as a drunk and moody midget. I think, he'll get his old job back some time soon, as defending the entrance from giant bushtits doesn't seem a proper job for him.

Have you ever had any of your old heroes re-migrate to you fort? And what about Urist McSoapmaker who survived the last fort by pure luck?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary migrants
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:55 pm »

No.  My fortresses fall in a blaze of glory and a wave of undead parts or gas that turns you inside out.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »

No.  My fortresses fall in a blaze of glory and a wave of undead parts or gas that turns you inside out.
... or both.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

Have you ever had any of your old heroes re-migrate to you fort? And what about Urist McSoapmaker who survived the last fort by pure luck?
Generally mine all fight and die to the last or else go insane. It's a good agreement that I think makes the Dwarves more productive.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »

I love exploiting this: current fort has adventurer necromancer royalty, and the last fort was a shaolin monastery.

I assembled the monks through 3 founding parties, all skilled in martial arts. They build the initial dome and then I embarked proper, and as the monks returned with migrant groups, I let them move in and forced the migrants to live a handscrabble existence outside. Then they made friends with the monks, died, and the monks tantrum spiraled
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:15 pm »

Legendary warriors, not so much. My military rarely reaches that point. Mostly they die in horrible ways before gaining any skill.

I did abandon a fort out of boredom (desert island embark) and have my Legendary Engraver show up. Still with his Nickname.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:00:55 pm »

As I had posted earlier, I remembered to try an embark of the same civ.  It's a new experience to have Hunters arrive with masterwork crossbows and ammo issued during their military service, Legendary Miners arrive to show the present ones how it's done (funny to watch them carve a room while my embarker clears one block), my pre-trained militia arrives a few at a time, and my Legendary Cook has time to farm because he clears the stocks so quickly, plus he's just a better farmer too.  I'm still waiting for that half-insane vampire I had completely walled in for seven years.  Her new "room" has already been prepared.
Only part I don't like is burying all those infants that get dropped on arrival and never picked up again.  Makes for a spiral-prevention task I don't care to have.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:28:29 am »

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while: Pretty much all my forts now are exclusively legendary - anyone that's not at least master level gets left outside the fortress to die.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 06:32:25 am »

I once had a had a legendary soapmaker crawl into my new fortress after I had abandoned the old one due to unpreparedness for HFS. He had no feet.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:00:22 pm »

Every Legendary dwarf I have gotten from a Migrant wave has turned out to be a vampire.