Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new burrow and priority settings  (Read 478 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new burrow and priority settings
« on: March 15, 2013, 12:15:50 pm »

I would love to be able to create a burrow to be labeled as "Fortress"  which would tell all dwarfs who do cleaning that the burrow is the fortress so cleaners wont ignore surface buildings.
It would also allow fortress courtyards and bridges to remain clean as well.  Some one had mentioned that cleaning be a designation also,  i agree that you should be able to designate it to supplement their automated cleaning..

Being able to set each labor a priority based on a number scale so you an number your orders from 1 to 100.  if a dwarf has two enable labors "recover wounded" and "haul stone" you can set recover wounded to a higher priority so the dwarf will haul stone until some one is hurt.  being able to designate a labor critical would also allow the dwarf (if not on a higher priority task) to immediately
interrupt his current task to go rescue the wounded.

after thought:
the ability to clean mud would be great also.

Thank you for your time :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:24:51 pm by detsuo04 »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: new burrow and priority settings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »

A cleaning designation or cleaning activity zone would be better than this idea as far as cleaning stuff up.   a cleaning zone would probably include inside/outside/zone-only/anwhere options.  Control over job priorities is suggested elsewhere as well. 

HOWEVER, a burrow to make dwarves think an area is inside the fort?
That's a splendid idea!

"Urist mcdrenched cancels sleep: throwing tantrum".
On inspection of thoughts: "has complained loudly about the leaky roof", "sleep interrupted by weather", "complained about the cold room", and topped off by "complained about the draftyness of the room".   Maybe tricking your dwarf into living like an elf wasn't such a good idea...but if you really had no choice but to sleep under the stars (big aquifer, mason used up all the building materials except a couple planks to make a statue), you could at least make sure your dwarves appreciate sleeping next to the artifact statue. 

It would require a number of secondary reworks to get the balance right, most of which go best with improved farming.  but I do think that a dwarf will expect certain things if they're in a room, and will hate getting wet if they go to sleep in a bed, but will only dislike getting wet if they plopped themsleves down on a patch of dirt.

Again, if there are aquifers everywhere, it can still make the difference between if there's only one section of the map that's not about to be hit by a boiling blood rain and there are aquifers everywhere you look. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »

Yea i mean they would still have bedrooms within the fort but the reason for it being a burrow instead of a zone is that you may want to make certain areas within the fort zones such as a water source or hospital zone,  sadly you cant overlap zones so if you had one encompassing the entire fortress it would be hard to have a hospital in a specific area.

but mostly i like the idea of having a fort burrow because you can overlap burrows.  and being able to designate an area across multiple z levels as the actual fortress it will help your cleaners know where to clean.. and to know not to go clean the cavern layers or underground mining areas you don't care that they waste time on.

thanks for your input.

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »

This is a pretty good idea.
As someone who likes to build above-ground structures I'm getting tired of those kobold blood spatters in my armory never being cleaned...