Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandoned player fortresses and artifacts are crashy as hell  (Read 2561 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abandoned player fortresses and artifacts are crashy as hell
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:41:01 pm »

I did a small test abandonment to see if post-abandonment artifact functionality had been improved in this version. Every single time I tried to reclaim the fortress, or enter the site in adventure mode, the game crashed on me.

Having taken note of the fact that books were also acting kinda weird in adventure mode, I figured it had something to do with the buggy artifacts from DF2010.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I collected the books, stuffed them in my backpack, and this happened.

So I start a new fortress to test this theory. All abandons and reclaims were perfectly stable until my first artifact was made. I copied the file and did three different abandons of the same fortress: one while the artifact was being made (works), one with the finished artifact still in the workshop (crashes), and one with the artifact in a stockpile (crashes). Hoping Toady will fix this soon, because this a pretty big deal in our planned Succession World.

Edit: Well, 1 out of 4 of my artifact fortresses were recoverable, so it's probably something a lot more general. Possibly having to do with the fact that visiting the functioning site as an adventurer reveals that it is still populated with all the dwarves that were supposed to have abandoned the place. It's still a whirlwind of random crashes, usually as an indirect result of trying to sleep or leave the site while holding an artifact.

Speaking of DF2010, artifacts are similarly screwed up there. Artifacts outside of bins or workshops will vanish from existence when you abandon (I DFusion'd the site to turn off item scattering, trust me, they're gone). When reclaiming a site, if you deconstruct an artifact building or artifact-containing-workshop, the artifact will likewise poof away. When you drop an artifact in adventure mode, you will not be able to pick it up. But if you go back to the building it was inside of when you abandoned, it will still be there in essence, and you'll be able to pick it up an infinite number of times; causing the version you dropped/are holding/are wearing to disappear from existence. If you try to leave the site with one of these silly things, it will immediately vanish from your inventory; meaning you can't hoard priceless artifacts, which I feel is practically the whole point of visiting abandoned fortresses in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:09:01 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf-made artifacts are broken, makes reclaims with them impossible
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »

Report to the bug tracker?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »

I registered to that bugtracker place, posted the bug, and was immediately reminded why I was so reluctant to do so in the first place. Was hoping someone else would handle that part for me :P
Edit: Because I got an update and that site doesn't let you edit a damn thing.

And come on people, nobody can back me up on this? This is some pretty gamebreaky stuff.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:08:08 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned player fortresses and artifacts are crashy as hell
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:00 am »

I haven't tried getting a dwarf made artifact, but the way that slabs and books will create phantom copies when you fast-travel is a bit off-putting, especially since they will slow you down.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:20:36 am »

This sounds like tracking items for the purposes of legends mode is at fault here.

You leave the site with a book or artifact and when you set it down, it wants to track it so it can be recorded in legends mode and I imagine something with this process isn't working correctly.

Before, if you dropped an artifact item in adventure mode, it was magically whisked away back to the fortress it was made in.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:58:44 am »

I registered to that bugtracker place, posted the bug, and was immediately reminded why I was so reluctant to do so in the first place. Was hoping someone else would handle that part for me :P

And come on people, nobody can back me up on this? This is some pretty gamebreaky stuff.

You can update with additional information by adding a note to the report.

Also, if you want people to corroborate your report, you should at least link them to it!

bradypalvarez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:32:11 am »

I had this same problem. Went to go retrieve my artifact sword, it seemed to have disappeared with all of my other items I created. On top of that, a new dwarven civ seemed to have inhabited my abandoned fortress, with their own short history of deaths and events in my fort. So yeah, weird stuff happens when you abandon and go back in adventure mode.