Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does Dwarf Fortress need more monsters?  (Read 1650 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does Dwarf Fortress need more monsters?
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:06:36 pm »

I kinda realised after a while when playing that it is REALLY hard to actually get into fights with monsters in pretty much any mode.

Sure there are the monster infested but absolutely deadly evil lands and the monster infested underworld... but otherwise the monsters I have fought are Harpies and Nightwings on the surface.

Do you think Dwarf Fortress needs more monsters to populate the surface? Things to chase you down and attack?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Does Dwarf Fortress need more monsters?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »

Do you think Dwarf Fortress needs more monsters to populate the surface? Things to chase you down and attack?
Isn't it possible to set an absurdly high number of megabeasts and their like in adv. world gen?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:48:23 pm »

Isn't it possible to set an absurdly high number of megabeasts and their like in adv. world gen?

Yeah but that will depopulate the world quite easily and slow generation to a crawl as well.

Mind you I am refering more to variety of Non-(Semi)megabeast monsters.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »

I agree it would be nice to have more low level monsters that arn't just bigger than average wildlife, some biomes are pretty sparse in variety.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »

Go and spruce them up! There are tons of mods for creatures :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »

I mean for Vanilla, thanks for helping though.

Aside: Goodness for a non-suggestion thread this sure feels like a suggestion thread. I even got the standard "just mod the game" response.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:15:59 pm by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »

I mean for Vanilla, thanks for helping though.

why

when you can mod it this version

and it's less work for toady?

I mean, I like new vanilla creatures (because they usually come with new tokens :V), but come on

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 02:17:39 am »

I'd rather Toady include more raw framework than the creatures themselves.
With a sufficiently complex interaction system you could quite literally make any game you want.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:38 am »

Unless you go screw around with DF further though they won't show up at your fort until you have the prerequisites.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:39:24 am »

Meh.
I like DF to bend slightly more towards realism (but not giving up on the fantasy elements).

Let Toady focus on mechanics rather than content - because content is totally up to us.
The only time Toady adds new content is when it also ships new mechanics as well (ie. tokens).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:41 am »

Hmmm perhaps I should have added that the thread doesn't mean immediately.

Since a lot of people have the impression that this thread is asking if people want Toady to suddenly stop what he is doing and dedicate several weeks to adding in new creatures. which is most assuredly not the case.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 11:26:10 am »

The answer is to add some from mods or make your own.

No, that isn't an answer to the question as the question is more on oppinion and the state of vanilla.

Which because of the Mod people I don't know the answer to this question and will have to start again some other time.

Then again you get this on the suggestion board too: "I think this thing is perfect for the game"... "Then mod it in yourself"... "I am talking about vanilla"... "Toady doesn't have time, mod it in yourself"... "I am not trying to improve mods I am talking about improving the game"... "Just download this mod"... "No I don't want to download any mods"... "See so you are against mods"

Why isn't in an appropriate answer? because it doesn't answer the question. It doesn't say whether or not Dwarf Fortress needs more monsters and is more that "Yeah you sure can fix that with mods".

So I'll be remaking this thread later as soon as this topic leaves the top topics where I'll just outright say that mentioning mods is off topic. Since that will get more accurate results.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:31:11 am by Neonivek »