Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: Kea-People Civilization (Armok Help Us)  (Read 869 times)

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help: Kea-People Civilization (Armok Help Us)
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:37 pm »

((First time doing a mod or anything like that, have mercy on me!))

Recently, the Above-Ground Fortress of Sternirons was attacked by several Kea-People and even a few giant Keas in a massive aerial assault which actually killed my mayor and took some armor and stuff.
I've been looking to start modding and messing with the RAWs, and I thought "Hey, why not a Kea-People civilization? They'd have cool ambushes..."

So yeah, here I am. I have NO idea how I'd go about this. Can I just copy some stuff from the Kobolds, give them Kea-Man description, and have them fly and ambush more often, by any chance?

Again, I'm totally new at this. Any help is appreciated.
**BONUS HELP: Have Giant Keas ambush with them...**

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Help: Kea-People Civilization (Armok Help Us)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »

Fairly simple to do:
1)Copy the kobold civilization
2)Change [ENTITY:SKULKING] to something different (like [ENTITY:THIEVING_KEAS]).
3)Change [CREATURE:KOBOLD] to [CREATURE:KEA_MAN] (if you want them to occasionally be groups of giant keas instead of kea men then also add [CREATURE:GIANT_KEA] to the entity as well. Note that this will only result in whole groups of kea men/giant keas, not mixed groups).
4)Profit!

If you want a race that attacks you instead of just stealing stuff, you might want to copy the goblin entity instead of the kobold one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »

Ah, thats helpful! Thanks!

((EDIT: For them to show up, do I need a new world generated?))

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:55:36 pm »

There are two things you need to work with:  an ENTITY (the civilization) and a CREATURE (your kea-men)

Getting started with a new civ is easy. 

(1) Copy an existing ENTITY, that is, the grouping of code that begins with [ENTITY:XXXX]
(kobolds is probably good one to copy)

(2) Paste the whole ENTITY either in an existing or new file with [OBJECT:ENTITY] at the top; be sure to replace XXXX with a unique name.

(3) Edit the tag [CREATURE:YYYY] where YYYY is the label for the creature you want to use.

That's all it takes to get the entity to appear in the world and be populated!  Now, there's just the business of modifying all the rest of the ENTITY tags so they behave less like kobolds, and more like whatever you want them to :D

>> and have them fly and ambush more often, by any chance?

They'll fly if the creatures fly.

There's not a lot of fine control over Ambushing.  There is a token that controls "elf-like" ambush behavior on and off.  You can find a reference on magmawiki by searching "entity tokens", will tell you all the things you can or cannot put in entity file.

>> **BONUS HELP: Have Giant Keas ambush with them...**

there's not a lot of fine control over pets either.  You can only make it so they live in the same biomes as Keas, and you can mod giant Keas to be war-trainable if they aren't already; that will give them the *chance* to attack with Giant kea pets.

ninja'd by i1amroy but i'll post it anyway ;)

>> ((EDIT: For them to show up, do I need a new world generated?))

Yes of course.  World gen is when entities appear and do stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:56:49 pm »

Ah, thats helpful! Thanks!

((EDIT: For them to show up, do I need a new world generated?))
Yes. Any time you mess with the entity_xxx.txt files you need to generate a new world (with a few tiny exceptions).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:01:58 pm »

Mmk. I'll get to work on this right now. Thanks for the help ugaiz.

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:22:25 pm »

Yup. It worked real good, I have Goblin, Giant Kea, and Kea-People civilizations running around now.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »

Great!  good luck :)