Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts civ  (Read 1659 times)

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts civ
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:13:48 am »

I was peacefully modding DF when I found some Forgotten Beasts civ in neighbors.

To tell the truth that was not quite exactly what I was trying to get but in some way awesome too. I checked them through legends:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   They are acting like civilisated creatures even being enormous skinless vipers. I do really like DF for things like these. And I think it's not a bug but a feature. Or even special rare hardcoded event. I fondly sniffed all my raws for they entity description. And they continued to appear in every next wordgen with suspicious human civ missing. Finally I've found the reason. Creature HUMAN was declared twice in two different files.
   So the mysterious forgotten beasts race is the human race that due to creature declaration mistake changed their inhabitants to terrifying monsters with civilized habbits. That's really a Holly Grail. I spend some time trying to mod raws to get both FB and human race back all together. (I'm using vanilla DF for modding) And learned that things are not so easy I thought before. It looks like the resulting civ creature is totally random even if I only change name of raw file. Example:
   At last I managed to get it work correctly.
   But I'm not sure it's going to show the same result on an another computer or even after my computer reboot.
Anyway here are mod files. http://dfiles.ru/files/uft8u06xg
And saved world http://dfiles.ru/files/7poe0dzt8

I don't know yet are they going to siege my civ and how it looks. Hope the game won't crash or anything like that.

psychomantits

• Bay Watcher
  • a menacing lawn gnome
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts civ
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:19:51 am »

Duplicating raws corrupts the world. The more things you duplicate the weirder it gets.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »

Your wild dwarves probably have the same identifier (I.E DWARF) as dwarves or something. Your errorlog will tell you which object is duplicated.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »

Okay, the Flies picture was funny.

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:08:44 am »

Your wild dwarves probably have the same identifier (I.E DWARF) as dwarves or something. Your errorlog will tell you which object is duplicated.

Emm, yes. You are right. The problem was about duplicated object, as I mentioned in the first post.
But that's OK. I even not complaining the game could have checked existed object and ignore it and report to errorlog.
Coz I like the way it solved the problem - random creature civilisation and three-tail snow monsters becomes farmers!

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:07:38 am »

More mad experiments!
Now we are playing Forgotten Beasts civilisation. And all world (and flies) are against us.

Just after embark:

Bio

Civilization creatures state

Good news that they do actually look like forgotten beasts (not humans or dworfs) and the game haven't crushed. So there is a hope of sieges in play agains them.
Bad news - due to lack of [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN] tags they aren't playable. And one of them said he can't proceed fishing with reason "too injured". Think it was the way to say he doesn't have proper limbs to fish.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:06:37 am »

I like how it tells you "there're no forgotten beasts living here, please go away, nothing to look at here".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:58:56 am »

Not much progress made.

Sometimes they have proper limbs to build workshops or fish. (Giant glass humanoid fishing during rain of goblin's blood - that's something)
I tried to do the trick. Workshop that makes boiling stone with syndrome that adds permanently [CAN_SPEAK][CAN_LEARN] tags.
It didn't work. They caught this boiling dust many times but still in the pet tab. Maybe [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON] or even [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERATED] is not correct. And go away there are no forgotten beast here. Arrgh.
That was fun but I'll give up with them for a while.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:04:29 am by Dustman »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:02:31 am »

PTW.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »

Forgotten beasts are by default immune to most syndromes due to not having any creature classes. You will probably need to target them specifically with any syndrome you want to infect them (I think it's FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1,2,3,4,5,etc. but I'm not certain on that one. If you extract the raws for a forgotten beasts from one of your worlds that should tell you, since it's the same naming system in all of them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 05:29:51 pm »

Or you could just have the syndrome have no affected class whatsoever.