Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Puzzle Monsters - free multiplayer Pokemon/Puzzle Quest/Puzzle Bobble crossover  (Read 676 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

It is even possible (but not necessary) to have different people control different pokemon monsters on the same team! Also there's a rudimentary AI and a complete lack of balance. On the other hand, it is a very early build (for example, there's only one fire-type pokemon monster for now, out of grand total of 14), so many improvements are to be expected. Here's the link and some screenshots, so get to it, I need someone to play with.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scour the world, collecting powerful Puzzle Monsters and battling them against your friends!
(Monster collection not implemented yet...)

This intrigues me, but I think I'll keep my distance until it's somewhere approaching feature complete.

This is also reminding me of the fact that a lot of games which are trying to copy Pokémon seem to fall into the same few traps in regards to monster designs/names, which always makes them come off seeming tacky to me.

For example: Take an animal and something else (object, element, second animal) and combine them. Give it a name that combines the two things.
e.g.
Whale + Helicopter = Whalicopter
Wolf + Ice = Wolfreeze
Butterfly + Frying Pan = Butterfryer

Congratulations, you've now made something both transparently uncreative and entirely unlike a Pokémon.

(Pokémon generally bases their mons on a single animal/concept that makes at least some kind of logical sense, and is better for it)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

I can't believe you just used the words 'Pokemon' and 'logical sense' in the same sentence.