Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't go into burrows often.  (Read 930 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't go into burrows often.
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:35 am »

So I have this torture one-tile bridge which opens to make the dwarf fall 5 stories and I have a burrow on it to order Dwarves to go there. But even when it doesn't say "Dwarf cancels Store Item: Item inaccessible", they don't go. Only a few I ordered there actually went but many didn't.
And I'm trying to recreate that 'childcare' project and I made a burrow over a hatch and ordered a child to go there (so  I can drop him into a pit) but he still ain't going there.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't go into burrows often.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:46 am »

A burrow controls where a dwarf will do things, but alas it doesn't control where he will do nothing. (alerts behave differently)

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:43 am »

Designating a meeting zone in the same spot will draw them there to loiter. Not foolproof for a one tile spot though, as they tend to meander a bit when they're unoccupied. It is also a good way to get your gore filled hallway cleaned, if you're into that kind of thing. Be aware that for whatever reason they'll continue to wander over there for a while after the meeting zone and burrow are removed.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:51 am »

Children also don't respect burrows. No matter what you do. Manager restricted levers are the way to go.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:08 am »

True, but you can't build a lever on a bridge. I guess you could build the lever such that you'd have to cross a bridge to get there.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:23 am »

True, but you can't build a lever on a bridge. I guess you could build the lever such that you'd have to cross a bridge to get there.
But then your manager is stuck on the lever tile next to the now retracted bridge.  (Unless he walks away immediately after pulling the lever and stays on the bridge until it retracts.)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:52 pm »

Or you build a door just past the bridge and on the way to the lever, and lock in in his face as he steps on the bridge.