Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need a good "world"...  (Read 817 times)

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a good "world"...
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »

Greetings.
I've just began (once again) trying making my own little fortress. Since I'm quite bad at this I would need a good start so to speak.
Is there some save-games to download that has a pregenerated world and embark thats really good for a beginner (perhaps some z-levels of clay and later on good stones etc.)? Perhaps even with a well equiped gang of dwarves and "good" animals?

Cheers!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: I need a good "world"...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »

Worldgen cookbook thread will help you. As long as you are not extra ultra mega specific, we can do it. But "good" is really vague and there are a vast number of examples of "good" embarks in this thread.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:01:27 pm »

I would suggest that you need a really nasty start, not a gentle and forgiving start.  The more shit that goes wrong, the more opportunities you have to learn what you need to prepare against.  You don't really learn to defend a fortress when nothing is trying to get in and gut it.  Island embarks with no enemies are how we wind up with players that don't know how to trap an entrance and allow trade caravans access for their wagons.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »

Well since the game doesn't come with a tutorial-mode or similar it actually would be nice to be able to start out with a peacefull embark where one could learn the basics before "madness begins" ;)
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »

Check out the Quickstart Guide. Some of the details are outdated, but most of the core concepts remain solid.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »

vjek's titan extermination challenge (look it up) is a nice place to start I'd say.
No migrants, no trade, no invaders. Only megabeasts and the like will attack.
Soil everywhere to get farming up and running. Flux, iron.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:54 am »

Best is to use the search site function with settings giving you the best chances, from memory :
- No aquifer
- A river
- Not cold, maybe hot so your river does not freeze.
- No evil
- Multiple metals (in plural if possible)
- Multiple soil layers
It will mark candidates with yellow X's on the world map. If there is no such site, try putting "metals" in singular and remove the condition on deep metals.

Among the candidates, try choosing the site with the most trees and less elevation (for simplicity). Be careful not to pick untamed wilds so your fisherdwarves does not get interrupted all the time.

With all that you'll probably lose your first forts to starvation or siegin. That's okay, you can look at where you went wrong and use the knowledge to reclaim it.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:05:03 am »

Also consider embarking on a volcano. It may sound challenging but it poses no threat unless you start digging on it and can provide magma for metal industry really close to the surface. Basically it makes producing metal ALOT easier early on. Just be careful with breaching it. The first attempt always fails  ;) That is how we learn.

Anyway, getting a good and relatively easy embark is rather easy. Finding a really good challenging one on the other hand is much harder
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist