Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching an ambushing necromancer  (Read 644 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Catching an ambushing necromancer
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:03 am »

Hello all - hope all's well.

I have a pesky ambushing necromancer who's managed to infiltrate my refuse pile. What are the best techniques for finding him? The fact he's raising the skin & hair in the stockpile suggests he's within 15 squares of it - but it's a large (ish) [10x15] room. My four military dwarves have had a run around but not caught him yet. Any ideas?

This is non-urgent - my curiosity more than anything, and I'd love your tips.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Catching an ambushing necromancer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:14:50 am »

Lock the door and drop a 10x15 section of floor through the ceiling.

Send more dwarves in until the sheer weight of bodies means there's nowhere for the necromancer to hide. Make sure they have hammers, helms, mail shirts, and shields at least.

Do the above, but with a mechanism-linked cage full of dozens of dogs.

Make a hole in the ceiling, put a grate over it, and fill the room with water.

Or magma.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:21:24 am »

I like all of these. A cave in was unfeasible due to location, but definitely worth bearing in mind. I suspected weight of bodies (and dog bodies) was my only viable option, and fortunately it worked. Thanks for all your tips.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:49 am »

drowning a necromancer in water is maybe not the best strategy. Do they actually need to breathe?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:58:03 am »

drowning a necromancer in water is maybe not the best strategy. Do they actually need to breathe?
Yes they require to breath they just do not need to eat/sleep/drink and do not age